Re: Anybody have experience with the SS67B-3 Liquid Fuel Rocket kit?

Need a liquid rocket that is FLIGHT PROVEN and has service with the sale? www.rattworks.com
Jerry
that is not a liquid rocket engines its a hybrid is it not ?
Chris Taylor http://www.nerys.com /

NOT Phil
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 18:37:11 -0400, "Chris Taylor Jr"

Phil Stein

I looked at it on the website. $1000 bucks.
Humm... the Large 98mm/100mm "M" hybrids sound like more bang for the buck at half the price. and more places one can fly it !

<< Humm... the Large 98mm/100mm "M" hybrids sound like more bang for the buck at half the price. and more places one can fly it ! >>
Yep. Or you could get one of the cool new "tribrids" from RATTworks. Starts off as a hybrid burning NOX and plastic, then switches to a liquid burning NOX and alcohol. Very simple, safe and reliable.

right now we are in the beta testing stage goto for a very cool motor tutorial http://www.hawkfeather.com/ratt/tribrid_tutorial.html
By Andrew MacMillen
Dave ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dave Griffith NAR 14156 The R.A.T.T.-works Monterey Machine Products 1504-A Industrial Park Street Covina, CA 91722 U.S.A. http://www.rattworks.com
rocket wrote:

The SS uses 50% hydrogen peroxide and gasoline fuel. I haven't seen the system myself, but I've red reports from those who have, and it's apparently rather a kluge, and complex to operate.
Preparation for a run apparently involves casting a small "igniter" grain out of something like sugar/KNO3, preparing a paste of KMnO4 and coating the inside of the chamber with this to decompose the peroxide, and dropping small, weighed chunks of dry ice into the propellant tanks to evaporate and provide the feed pressurization.
The payoff for all this is evidently a rather low performance and an exhaust containing large quantities of sooty smoke and purple steam.
It sounds like its main virtue is the "coolness factor of liquid fuel. As some have suggested, the RATTworks nitrous/alcohol "tribrid" is a much more practical setup if you want to burn liquid fuels.
-dave w

But how can you argue with that much "interaction"? Almost as much as assembling an RMS and getting all the LEUP, variance, local authorization, magazine, FedEx, and such.
:)
Jerry
But not quite!

There's a difference between futzing due to lousy engineering, and futzing because of good engineering, and a performance "payback".
The SS67B is rather poor engineering. You pay a lot of money, and futz a lot, for very little return.
Brother Anthony of Cesaroni told me that one of his intern students fired one of these at CTI a couple of years ago. The results were dissappointing.
snipped-for-privacy@propulsionpolymers.com (Marcus Leech) wrote:

Not in this industry :)

Agreed.
He probably says the same thing about the public aerospike we occasionally hear about too :)
Jerry
Thanks All, Now I'm reconsidering Hybrid.... -Rocket