Re: Anybody have experience with the SS67B-3 Liquid Fuel Rocket kit?

I'm thinking about buying the liquid fuel rocket engine kit, but would

> like to hear other's experiences with it before I lay out that much > cash. Anybody here have one? > > Thanks- > -Jay > > (remove NOSPAM to reply) >

Need a liquid rocket that is FLIGHT PROVEN and has service with the sale?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

that is not a liquid rocket engines its a hybrid is it not ?

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

I looked at it on the website. $1000 bucks.

Humm... the Large 98mm/100mm "M" hybrids sound like more bang for the buck at half the price. and more places one can fly it !

Reply to
AlMax714

Yep. Or you could get one of the cool new "tribrids" from RATTworks. Starts off as a hybrid burning NOX and plastic, then switches to a liquid burning NOX and alcohol. Very simple, safe and reliable.

Reply to
RayDunakin

The SS uses 50% hydrogen peroxide and gasoline fuel. I haven't seen the system myself, but I've red reports from those who have, and it's apparently rather a kluge, and complex to operate.

Preparation for a run apparently involves casting a small "igniter" grain out of something like sugar/KNO3, preparing a paste of KMnO4 and coating the inside of the chamber with this to decompose the peroxide, and dropping small, weighed chunks of dry ice into the propellant tanks to evaporate and provide the feed pressurization.

The payoff for all this is evidently a rather low performance and an exhaust containing large quantities of sooty smoke and purple steam.

It sounds like its main virtue is the "coolness factor of liquid fuel. As some have suggested, the RATTworks nitrous/alcohol "tribrid" is a much more practical setup if you want to burn liquid fuels.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

But how can you argue with that much "interaction"? Almost as much as assembling an RMS and getting all the LEUP, variance, local authorization, magazine, FedEx, and such.

:)

Jerry

But not quite!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

right now we are in the beta testing stage goto for a very cool motor tutorial

By Andrew MacMillen

Dave ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dave Griffith NAR 14156 The R.A.T.T.-works Monterey Machine Products

1504-A Industrial Park Street Covina, CA 91722 U.S.A.
MONTMACH

There's a difference between futzing due to lousy engineering, and futzing because of good engineering, and a performance "payback".

The SS67B is rather poor engineering. You pay a lot of money, and futz a lot, for very little return.

Brother Anthony of Cesaroni told me that one of his intern students fired one of these at CTI a couple of years ago. The results were dissappointing.

Reply to
Marcus Leech

Not in this industry :)

Agreed.

He probably says the same thing about the public aerospike we occasionally hear about too :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Thanks All, Now I'm reconsidering Hybrid....

-Rocket

Jerry Irv> In article ,

Reply to
rocket