Re: Ellis I69 motors (was: re: NCR Bomarc)

At LDRS 21 in Amarillo (2002) I flew a cluster that had 3 I69's with some sort of 54mm in the center.

When I purchased the motors on site from Rob Ellis he told me to put the igniters only halfway up the core. Rob even looked at my igniters to verify they were appropriate for the motors.

All 3 I69's catoed. One blew the entire nozzle off the motor. The second blew the nozzle and half of one side of the casing. The third completely blew, leaving not much more than the upper closure.

When I returned with the motor remains and damaged rocket Rob told me that I "must have done something wrong." No warranty was offered, even upon request. No cato history or warranty disclaimer was given at time of purchase.

Later everyone said that motor was well known for it's catos

Dave

Reply to
David Bacque

I didn't even raise that issue before, because of possible claims of bias. But with this first hand report it becomes fair. That is a violation of U.S. warranty law, is a clear case of a warranty claim, and the fact he did it "in person" is also a clear demonstration of personal ethics.

Watch out. Caveat Emptor.

Jerry

P.S. wanna bet that as a result of this rmr thread you are suddenly offered a replacement??

2.2 YEARS later?

:)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That sucks!

Reply to
Phil Stein

That's the vendor you have been holding out as an example of TRA allowing others to certify. AND they are the ones who also did the errortech J350 debacle.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

No it isn't. In fact I don't think I've mentioned any specific vendor. Seems like a good time to mention Loki & Sky Ripper. Did you know that Sky Ripper uses AT's propellant certification?

Reply to
Phil Stein

Then my point is still made.

Reply to