Re: rocket-boosted payload gliders?

> I thought the Astrocam (and Camroc) intentionally recommended

> > using a motor with an unusually long delay (relative to what > > would be normal for the rocket size and weight) - which would > > be equivalent to exceeding the normal "recommended max liftoff > > weight" for the long delay motor - to be sure the rocket was > > pointing downward to take a pivture of the surface at ejection. > > > > -dave w > > The point is there is a technicality in NFPA of MLOW which is > inviolable. It is silly, as are most NAR/TRA authored NFPA regulations.

Interesting... checking the safety codes as listed on the NAR website, it appears that there is no such stipulation in the "Model Rocket Safety Code", but there is in the "High Power Rocket Safety Code":

  1. Weight and Power Limits. My rocket will weigh no more than the motor manufacturer's recommended maximum liftoff weight for the motors used, or I will use motors recommended by the manufacturer of the rocket kit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- The irony here is that manufacturers of "high power" motors generally don't provided recommended weight limits like they do for the "model" size motors... so the net effect of this would be to give "force of safety code" to the specific motor types recommended by a kit manufacturer. (That gets tricky for stuff like LOC kits, where the instruction cards seem to mainly list obsolete motor types no longer avaialble...)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

In other words if no kit manufacturers recommend your motors you are illegal in 38 states.

Perhaps felony illegal.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Well if you custom make the rocket YOU are the manufacturer of the rocket kit and therfore stipulate the motors for use in that kit ????

What this says is that if the kit manufacturer says no smaller than a b d> > David We>

manufacturer.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Yes, that's what I was thinking of.

Unless they did a really good job, you might be better off going back to the original film. If it's not in too bad a shape.

Someone should take yours, Gaffs, the old PSC prang film, and more, put them all on one DVD, and make it a NARTS item. I'd bet that would sell very well.

Bob Kaplow

I'd pay money for a George and Bob Compilation DVD

Reply to
tater schuld

Alas, my video collection is zilch. George has some neat stuff. As does Ric Gaff. ALl dating back to the 8mm days. I've yet to see anything like the prang films of old in any video format.

Bob Kaplow

And let's not forget the classic gag films, like "A Day at Northpark"

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

If someone can get the raw 8mm and 16mm films to me (or the VHS copies), I can get them digitized and mastered for DVD. This sounds like something that would sell reasonably well through NARTS...

James ___________________ James Duffy snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

James Duffy

I can't believe I forgot about that one!

Bob Kaplow

I've yet to see anything like the prang films of old in any video format.

Reply to
GCGassaway

So if they were old then, what are they now?

Correct.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine