Rockets in the news

CNN: "Early Sunday morning, another U.S. soldier died and 15 other people were injured in a rocket attack on the Al Rashid Hotel in Baghdad, where U.S. Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz was staying. Wolfowitz was unharmed.

Between eight and 10 rockets slammed into the hotel's north side at about

6:10 a.m. Sunday, said Brig. Gen. Martin Dempsey, commander of the 1st Armored Division. Others fell short of the building, Dempsey said.

Wolfowitz was on the 12th floor of the hotel, which houses U.S. and coalition officials in Baghdad, and he was on the side of the hotel that came under attack, according to an aide. The rockets reached only as high as the 11th floor. "

-- The AZ Repugnant: "Eight to 10 rockets were fired by a homemade launching platform, described by one U.S. commander as resembling a "science project."

-- Joel. phx: "Oh Crap"

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Yes, a bad description. I'd say it resembles something that the "A Team" would have whipped up. What you lookin' at fool!

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Whatch' ya' looking at fool???

Reality.

Or the explanation of why you just wasted $ 80,000.00 on a tv commercial that would have nbeen far far better spent in targeted campaign donations.

-- Jim McLaughlin

Please don't just hit the reply key. Remove the obvious from the address to reply.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

people were

where U.S.

was unharmed.

the 1st

said.

and

hotel that

only as high as

platform, described

These were military rockets. The science project aspect was jury-rigging a launcher.

Some details from a google news search: "The 40 rockets in the launcher included 20 that appeared to be French-made and designed for use with the Alouette helicopter, Army officers said. These rockets were of relatively recent vintage and might have been obtained by Iraq illegally after the imposition of a U.N. weapons embargo in 1991. The other 20 missiles appeared to be Russian-made, the officers said.

Half of the missiles were 68 millimeter, with a range of two to three miles, and the others were 85 millimeter, with a range of three to four miles. The launcher was parked on a side street in a park that was opened one month ago, officials said."

The rocket trailer was disguised to look like a generator. The launching was initiated by a timer. THere were about 10 misfires, and about 10 hits, which means there were misses, even at "point-blank" range.

Reply to
Ted Cochran

Or capitalizing rocket companies.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Adn they were shooting at a building - the perverbial Broad Side of a Barn.

Reply to
DaveL

At least someone is trying to do something about bettering our situation. You seem to take delight in the hardships that this hobby faces. Give it a rest already.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

J.A. Michel

You are welcome to be a self deluded cheerleading fool as long as you want. Preach to the entire 5,000 (probably overstated by a thousand) in the choir.

Political reality is already nibbling on your butts. Political reality is about to take one huge chunk out of your collective hide.

I for one will cheer when the regulatory chomping is done.

If you don't like it, I suggest that you run out and vote with your wallet: buy up all the hardware being unloaded daily by those who are already recognizing what is about to land on you.

Oh. No balls, right? You won't buy up hardware at firesale prices will you. Tells us a lot about your cheerleading.

-- Jim McLaughlin

Please don't just hit the reply key. Remove the obvious from the address to reply.

Jim McLaughlin

Yeah, we all know how much you'd love to see the ATF screw this hobby. Not to hard to figure out why, either -- trolls like you love to see others get shafted, just so you can gloat.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Yes, this foolish cheerleader did donate to the cause. Sounded like a good idea to me.

So what? I'm not letting it get to me. Just started building my rocket for a shot at Level 2 certification next spring.

What's up with that? I'm sure many of us 'cheerleaders' here would be willing to buy hardware at fire sale prices (myself included) Why are you so hateful towards the people here and this hobby? Did momma drop you on your head when you were a baby? Take your meds and chill out Jim.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

What's up with "Auction Jim" anyway? Did his wife leave him for a guy with a bigger reload case?

Reply to
BB

Likewise. In particular I'm looking for just about any Hybrid stuff. Firesale prices only please (50% of retail is ok). Oh, if you twist my arm I might be willing to offload electronics too.

Funny, but I just don't see that much of the stuff I'm looking for. There is a Hypertek 835cc system on auction now, but I already have one and the $100 opening bid is about the maximum I'd be willing to spend.

Reply to
Alex Mericas

bigger reload case?

Nah, his mother found his "collection" of bra advertisements from the Sunday paper and made him throw them out.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

Didn't the A team use an old water heater for their "rocket"...

Bob Kaplow

But the building moved :-)

Bob Kaplow

It has been discovered that lawyers are the larval stage of politicians.

Bob Kaplow

A defense attorney was cross-examining a police officer during a felony trial - it went like this:

Q. Officer, did you see my client fleeing the scene? A. No sir, but I subsequently observed a person matching the description of the offender running several blocks away.

Q. Officer, who provided this description? A. The officer who responded to the scene.

Q. A fellow officer provided the description of this so-called offender. Do you trust your fellow officers? A. Yes sir, with my life.

Q. With your life? Let me ask you this then officer - do you have a locker room in the police station - a room where you change your clothes in preparation for your daily duties? A. Yes sir, we do

Q. And do you have a locker in that room? A. Yes sir, I do.

Q. And do you have a lock on your locker? A. Yes sir, I do

Q. Now why is it, officer, if you trust your fellow officers with your life, that you find it necessary to lock your locker in a room you share with those same officers? A. You see sir, we share the building with a court complex, and sometimes lawyers have been known to walk through that room.

With that, the courtroom erupted in laughter and a prompt recess was called.

from

Doug Sams

TRUE!

Randy

Reply to
Randy

"guffaw...." Another not-so-amazing "rest of the story" of the teeny little OVERWHELMING facts that get left out of an article... but this is the way things get reported right?

Reality and Freedom verses Fear and Insecurity.

~Duane Phillips.

Reply to
Duane Phillips

Hmmmmm......and this jetliner was moving? No? Oh, it was a building which couldn't move. Silly me. And they missed? So, they can sometimes hit the broad side of a barn IF they get them lit ......the 1:750,000 shot still goes for a moving object from distance still goes.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy