shock cord length

Tweak, I hadn't been following this thread, but went back to read your post on this. What confuses me is that you say the shockcord had more drag than the drogue, so that that two rocket pieces at the ends and the drogue in the middle formed a big M. So, are you saying the the drogue did not deploy and was hanging upsidedown from the shockcord? Because if it was open, then it would seem it would have to be pulling up on the shockcord.

Or is it possible the winds were pulling the shockcord horizontal, creating a horizontal "M" as viewed from the ground and yanking the rocket pieces together.

Just curious.

Reply to
bit eimer

Nope. The drogue was deployed and open, it was just the LONG shock cords had more drag than the drogue, and I assume the weight of the quicklink in the middle was enough to make the drogue "hang low". The big M was quickly moving in on itself, and in a few hundred more feet I would have had a tangled mess. I do use a teeny drogue, so that I am sure contributed.

Reply to
Tweak

Did she make beeedy beeedy beeedy noises?

Reply to
Tweak

Naaaw, Twiggy was a skinny model back in the late 60's but she turned out ok, after she gained a few pounds.

Randy

Reply to
<randyolb

I heard she did a lot more than that, but this is supposed to be a family froup.... dysfunctional family that is... that's a rooster joke, Leg Horn I say... you know... a chicken, a loud mouth shnook that is. Any of this gettin through boy? BOOM! I keep, I say I keep mah feathers numbered, for just such an emergency.....

Randy

Reply to
<randyolb

I have 2 50 foot harness sections that I use on a continual basis. One section between the booster and the pay load and the other between the payload (e-bay) and the chute...I fly most of my bibber rockets with a RocketMan R-18....overall length of the rocket and deployed recovery system is about 130 feet. On more than one occasion the chute has ended up at the top of a tree ...and the booster section has landed on the ground....I unusually recover droguelessly at apogee. I believe the weight and shape of the fin can allows it drop through the canopy layer. It has made a number of my rocket recoveries a lot easier and has saved me way more rockets than it lost me....No Empirical data here mind you....just my opinion based on my own experience.

Mark Palmer

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

Ah, the quicklink - sense it now makes. :^)

Reply to
bit eimer

Sounds, I say, sounds like a chicken hawk to me, boy.

Reply to
Tweak

Could be.

You know, you could be right. Could BE, that is. That boy is so dumb, he thinks a pig pen is something you write with. That boy's so dumb, he thinks Mexican border pays rent. The boy is so dumb, he thinks a rock-et is a dancer.... whoosh pop!

And that widow hen, reminds me of the road between Dallas & FT. Worth, no curves!

Randy

Reply to
<randyolb

My goodness. I only use about ~75 feet on dual deploy, L3 size birds.

Out of curiousity, why so much to the main chute? I use 10-15 feet in that application.

And, BTW, let that girl fly all the crazy rockets she wants. Can't believe all the "hubbub" over a toy rocket. Only thing that would have made that launch better would be if it had chased Ky down the flightline. ;-)

Reply to
Tweak

Only when she was hunched over the toilet with Her finger down her throat. :)

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

TREES! I fly in Michigan where all of our fields are surrounded by trees. I took someones advice on this once and it paid off. My first K flight dropped my BBX into the trees after a flight to about 4500 feet. Chute was in the tree....booster was on the ground. One gentle tug and i had the whole enchilada on the ground unhurt....Since that time i have always put a long length...It also seems to create sufficient drag so that the rocket falls with both halves separated, flat, and sufficiently spread out. If you are interested, Drop me an email and I will send you some pictures of the Tree-based recoveries. ;-) Seriously it has saved my bacon 4 times....not saying it always will...but it is almost a superstition now.

LOL and Thanks

Mark Palmer

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

I was cruzing around on PML's site the other day.....found this for Tube packing lengths with chute & TN..... A handy little resource....

CJC