Tintin rocket CP

Has anyone calculated, determined, etc., the Cp for the Tintin rocket? It is a bit unusual so I am not sure if the usual methods were accurate.

Reply to
p.picton

Haven't done it for that particular rocket, but the later versions of RockSim will make a reasonable job of estimating the CP of this style (pods, curved bodies, etc) of rocket.

Alternatives:

- Find someone who already has a flying version and ask them where to put the CG.

- Swing test it!

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

I've never heard of this method. Could you give a short description?

Reply to
Strudleman

Sure, you tie string around the body of the rocket at the CG. Then you swing the rocket around your head at the end of the string. If it points forward, it's stable. Doesn't work for very big rockets, or very long rockets.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

I assume you should have an engine installed as well for a true stability check?? Am I correct?

Richard

Reply to
BackToRiding

Yes.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

And, more specifically, a motor that hasn't been fired yet.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Yes.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

p.picton wrote: > Has anyone calculated, determined, etc., the Cp for the Tintin rocket? > It is a bit unusual so I am not sure if the usual methods were > accurate.

I assume you mean the Tintin Moon Rocket.

I modeled it in RockSim and got the following CP values: Barrowman .68 (.86) RockSim .70 (.88) Cutout .60 (.75) The first number in each row is the CP location as a fraction of the overall length; the second number, in parentheses, is the CP as a fraction of the airframe length. The CP is measured from the tip of the nose (NOT the tip of the nose antenna).

My model is based on the drawing in Spaceship Handbook. I didn't model the fin tip pods, except as profiles included in the fin shapes.

Here's the model if you're interested:

Steve Humphrey

Oh yeah, but be sure to stick a fuse in it and light, right before you start swinging.

It's much more fun that way.

8D

TBerk

I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

You just need really, really Strong string.

TBerk

I'm unconvinced.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn