VCP and Windows XP

I just installed VCP on a system running XP. It complains of a "printer error". It worked fine on my old XP system. Anyone seen this problem and know how to fix it?

Cheers

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

I'll take a whack at it. VCP doesn't like Windows printers? Not sure about that but my second guess is that VCP may not like USB or networked printers.

Reply to
Gene

VCP may only work with printers attached directly to an LPTx (that aren't captured).

C'mon, Gary, I'm hangin' myself out to dry here!

Reply to
Gene

haven't come across the problem.

Works fine on my XP pro system with a USB printer. doesn't seem to need a LPT port.

Reply to
Dan Chandler

Worked fine before. I just installed XP on a new disk and it doesn't work.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

I was getting the error, too. I am now running VCP in Win2K compatibility mode and it works fine.

-Scott

Reply to
Scott Oliver

Aha! I used a network printer before, so that's not the problem, but what I just realised was that I hadn't "installed" it yet on the new system. Just browsed for it on the network, re-ran VCP and all is well. So maybe VCP requires that a printer driver has been installed.

Anyway, thanks to all that replied for their help.

Cheers

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Make sure you have the 1.65 version, available here:

Its the one labeled Win95&up, its the same as the old Win3.1, but recompiled in VB6, probably works better with XP and I think it fixed the USB printer problem.

GC

Reply to
Gary Crowell / VCP

Thanks Gary.

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

How about an update for all the latest versions for all known OS's then.

Just publisher Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

How about getting a real computer with a real OS?

Reply to
Phil Stein

I was working on a similar piece of software for Linux/X11 a while ago but ran into a problem with my code and then ran out of time to work on it. I'm hoping to rewrite it (again) from scratch so that it actually works. But with all my free time I don't know when that'll happen... The current (incomplete and buggy) version is on my web site, listed below, under the rocket aerial photo page.

===================================================================== David W. Grumbine, Jr., Ph. D. david(dot)grumbine(aT)email(DOt)stvincent(dOt)edu Assistant Professor of Physics

Vincent College
Fraser Purchase Rd. Latrobe, PA 15650

Reply to
David W. Grumbine, Jr.

I just had in mind a list of stuff already running on whatever OS's, but it seems from your website (html not a hobby) that GC has approximated it.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine