White lightning propellant Question

Why does WL propellant swell and get 'crusty'? I compared WL and BT slugs(24mm reloads),and the WL slugs had swelled and
had that white crust on them,the BT slugs were unchanged.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Magnesium to Magnesiuim oxide.

Thank you,Jerry.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I forgot to ask;how's that affect the propellant performance? (MgO instead of Mg.)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

MgO "stabilizes" the burn just as well. it reduces the smoke very slightly (no way you could detect it).
The main "problem's" are dimensional change and hard to ignite surface.
The tight grains can be solved by taking off a thin layer of paper. The surface can be sanded down.
Both are "manufacturing" issues and should rightly be treated as warranty issues.
Jerry

These have been stored a long time after opening the original packaging. I would not dream of trying to turn them in a warranty claim.
I wonder what would happen if MgO were used in manufacturing instead of pure Mg;would it eliminate swelling(at the cost of more difficult to ignite)?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

It wouldn't be "white lightning".

Really?
The "white" output is indeed MgO.
Thank you once again for demonstrating your knowledge.

David wrote:

You're welcome.
See, civil chat IS possible.
Would be curious to know why they would want to add MgO; however adding Mg could have the effect of adding small quantities of MgO as an impurity. That material could then combine with the NH4ClO4 to produce Mg (ClO4)2, which is so hygroscopic, it is used as a desiccant.
-Larry (That, combined with the atomic fallout in the atmosphere...) C.

Which is likely what is causing the caking and expansion of WL grains over time.

WL seems to be more sensitive to humidity. They do fine until you open the sealed pack. I've had a couple grains swell so much they would no longer fit inthe liner tube. One from a 3-pack of E18s I gave to the local Fire Dept inspectors who checked out my stuff to take back and burn in their burn pit.
We need to ensure that actions by our government uphold the principles of a democratic society, accountable government and international law, and that all decisions are taken in a manner consistent with the Constitution.
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote in writes:

Mine have been stored in closed ziploc bags inside a second,gallon-size ziploc bag,inside my closed range box.(Humid Florida,of course) I didn't think that much moisture would get to the slugs,inside those ziplocs.I had separated them to make individual reload kits from the 3- packs.
The slugs are inside the liners,and they don't slide anymore,and the exposed end bulges slightly,and I see that the slot has partially closed.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The best oxidizer in the package is the apc. You coul probably store them in dry nitrogen and eventually run into the same problem.
What about storing in a fridge or freezer? Lower temp should reduce oxidation rates by a factor of two for every 10 degrees C the temp drops.
--
Tom Koszuta
Western New York Sailplane and Electic Flyers