1:1 Scale Fantasy Kits

Saw this link from the MonstersinMotion.com website.

looks like some people have some money to burn.

pretty cool stuff.

Craig

Musicman59

Nice artwork. Like to see them rationalize some of the stuff from the old "UFO"series.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

I saw that linked from another message board. Isn't that just a combination of good model photography and photoshop? I do agree it looked cool. If that was really full size I'd want tickets to that show!

Reply to
eyeball

Looks more like CGI models and a little photoshopping to me. I'd say the faux operational histories give up the ruse if there were any doubts to begin with. August 1972 moon shot by a "Space:1999" Eagle?

[Dr Evil voice, pinky to corner of the mouth]

"Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight."

Absolutely! I'd buy tickets even if they were static tarmac queens. Interesting concept. An actual faux airshow built around fictional/hypothetical craft and vehicles. The engineers that did the Horten flyer mockup probably have a leg up on the makings of a Luft '46 show, huh.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Time for a 1/1 Jupiter 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Musicman59

Original series or the one from the crappy movie?

Reply to
eyeball

the original - to me, the movie does not exist...

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

When the blueprints came out in the 70s, I thought it'd be really neat to erect a 1:1 replica of the USS Enterprise and operate it as a theme hotel.

Of course it'd present some extreme engineering challenges, like designing a "dry dock" to support the saucer, nacelles, etc without detracting from the outside appearance, and creating floor plans that use normal stairwells and vertical elevators instead of vertical ladders and a network of turbolift tubes.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

Roger that!

Reply to
Rufus

You are a man of impeccable taste.

Reply to
eyeball

I'd go with the CGI modelling too. I've seen both of the Mk9 Hawk effects models in the flesh, and IIRC those differed in detail from those on the site (and each other). It's a pity I can't access the slides I took, I used them to "accuratise" the Airfix kit, but made a crap job of it. However, I think there's another Hawk in the stash if I want try again.

It should be doable, if the various IP rights owners could be brought into agreement - that would probably be the hardest part. We're looking at complete 1:1 mock-ups that have existed, and may possibly still exist, for "Millenium Falcon" (that would have to be the star of the show), "X-wing", original and new Colonial Vipers, the "Hammerhead" from "Above and Beyond", and assorted Shuttlecraft from various movies/series. There's probably more than these, I just can't recall them at the moment. As for vehicles, there's a lot of those already in the "Cars of the Stars" museun at Keswick, who have the "Lunar Buggy" from "Space

1999", the 1:1 promo pink Rolls-Royce from "Thunderbirds", and I believe a 1:1 scale "Rapier" fighter from the (crap) film "Wing Commander" - I understand this was built from bits of a EE/BAC "Lightning" fighter....

Would look nice alongside the "Flying Wing" from "Raiders of the Lost Ark"... Regards,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

Basic problem could be addressed as 'The ship, having warped back in time, crash landed on Earth where the crew (needing to make a living) decided there was a gap in the market for a really 'beyond up to date' hotel. Due to damage to the power systems however some elements were considered too risky to use (tubbo lifts might confuse the guests, weapons might prove too apealing to high school pranksters), so those aspects were therefore disabled."

Just a thought. If you go ahead put up a post and I'll break open the piggy ank for a visit.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Another give away ... On the flying sub page, they have a picture of the cover of the April 1964 National Geographic magazine.

A google search of april 1964 national geographic reveals a page or two with thumbnails that look distinctly different than the one on the site.

Reply to
John McGrail

Mmmmm. the April National Geo. published on April 1st no doubt.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

I'm inclined to agree that some parts of the pictures look more like CGI than a physical model, but...

Based on what it says on his About page and his long list of movie credits on IMDB (everything from a model maker and matte painter to a visual effects supervisor and digital artist), I believe he's got the skill and experience to have created the ships using any means imaginable, including scratch-built scale models, virtual 3D models, or even rotoscoping over photos of the originals. The parts that I think look CGI might only be the result of photoshopping it to improve details or remove unwanted shadows & reflections.

So I'm not placing any bets on how he did it, I'll just sit back and admire the results.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris
.

IP rights may not need to be that large a problem. Just look at the case from Great Britain where the original designer of the Stormtrooper armor from Star Wars was allowed to continue making them because they were considered "industrial design" and the Lucasfilm rights to them had already lapsed to the designer, if not public domain. Anything from about twenty-five years ago and earlier, that hasn't been used since, and not renewed with the patent office, could be fair game for an "industrial design" rights challenge.

Want a "Blade Runner" spinner? Or "Buck Rogers'" Thunder fighter?

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922

Stephen Bierce