1/35 Scale SDKFZ 251 question

Hi,

I have three sdkfz 251 / 1 kits which I'm building. Two are Tamiya 1/35 scale Ausf C and D and the third is an old Nichimo Ausf B.

I'm adding AFV Club running gear to the Nichimo kit to replace the rubber band tracks. While checking dimensions to do this I found that the old Nichimo kit and the Tamiya Ausf D have the same crew compartment dimensions but the Tamiya Ausf C is narrower.

Did these dimensional differences exist on the real vehicles and if not does anyone know which is more accurate?

Regards

JP

Reply to
JP

I understand that the Tamiya Ausf C is wrong. You might want to check out the Dragon Ausf C, anounced recently. It's the welded hull type so not the same as the old Tamiya rivetted-hull Ausf C, but the dimsenions should be the same so if the Tmaiya on is narrower that will be confirmation that the old kit is inaccurate. Frankly, if you enjoy bulding it I'd say don't worry about a minor fault that doesn't really show up.

Cheers

John

Reply to
JPrigent

The Tamiya 251 C model is 29 years old and a truly dreadful kit. Somewhere along the line Tamiya got the dimensions wrong and it wound up about 8mm too narrow -- about one scale FOOT!

The D is a new chassis and they got that one right. The Nitto B is detail-wise pretty spartan, but they got most of the major dimensions correct and the older Tamiya running gear fixes many of its failings.

Best as noted to wait for the new DML C model if you are serious.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

Thanks for both replies.

I guessed the Tamiya C must be wrong.

I'll probably build it anyway and buy the new Dragon one as well.

And on the basis that if you don't ask you don't get ........

Does anyone know of sources for the interior layout of the B. I know late ones were the same as the C but what about the main production run?

Thanks again.

JP

Remove nosp from email address.

Reply to