1/48 hornet

Easy question, probably a not-so-easy answer: which is the best Hornet in 1/48 scale?

Hasegawa

@bellsouth.net says...

And in 1/72? I don't have either the space or the patience for 1/48...
SP
Sebastian Palm wrote:

Also Hasegawa.
--
Edwin (who has 6 [!] in his stash...)

(Remove "DIESPAMDIE!")

[Hornets!]
I kind of thought so, but I wanted to make sure... I've built two Italeri Hornets, and frankly, they stunk. My local shop doesn't do Fujimi, and having Hasegawa kits available at a decent price is a fairly recent development...
I've got one Hasegawa Hornet under construction, but since work on that stalled six months ago, I couldn't find the "lumps and bumps" sprue for the C-model - I've got the fins installed, and the leaf antennae, but the blisters are missing. And some gremlin or other broke the axle for the front landing gear, so it's only got one nosewheel. Does anyone think the nose gear off an Italeri Super Hornet might be an acceptable substitute?
SP
On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:05:15 +0200, Sebastian Palm

Can't you replace the axel with some sprue?

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahoo.com says...

I'd rahter replace the complete part, since my "quick fixes" tend to have just under zero durability... I've got the remains of at least four Italeri Super Hornets lying around, none of which I used the landing gear for since I used to (and still do) hate painting the damned things. Is there any kind of white paint that'll actually look good, without needing a thousand coats or looking like I've coated things in Tippex? Or - my favorite - turning yellowish brown on contact with air?
SP
Sebastian Palm wrote:

No. Use a small drill bit and a piece of brass or plastic rod, or stretched sprue to peg a new axle into the broken part.
--
- Rufus

Precisely! Nothing like metal rod (got a pin or a paper clip?) to fix broken gear.
On your paint note you need to go to a Railroad hobby store and get Floquil Reefer white. Best white in the industry; I haven't had any yellow on me. Same with their Crystal Cote or their flat. hth
The Keeper (of too much crap)

broken
Floquil
Same
I'll second that. I painted Monogram's 1/72 B-1 in it's all white scheme with Floquil's reefer white and 20 years later there's no trace of yellowing. And that's a whole lotta white! Two or three bottles IIRC.
Doug
Sebastian Palm wrote:

Hasegawa.
--
- Rufus

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 15:04:27 -0400, "Dave Williams"
Without doubt.
However, you can get about 3 Revellogram Hornets for the price of a Hasegawa, the Revellogram kit isn't that much worse, and you don't have to be frightened about ruining one :)
It's your call.
--
Jeff C
RLHD

Except for a few (minor, workable) fit problems here and there, and IIRC a bit-too-blunt nose... OTOH, they look OK to me.
(Bracing for the "But it's got raised panel liiiiiinnnneeessss!" whine-fest.)

Easy return question, maybe a not-so-easy answer: Which Hornet? At a guess, you're talking about the F-16, and I presume the other posters so guessed. Those of us who appreciate aircraft with propellers were probably anticipating an enquiry about something more toothsome than another stupid flying blowtorch. Anyway, not really knowing what you mean, I'd say Classic Airframes in 1/48 and Special Hobby in 1/72.
Mark Schynert (in an especially rantish mood)

dude, chill, aeon flux marathon on mtv.
Far as I know, F-16 is a Falcon, the Hornet is the F-18

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 10:58:58 +0200, Nemesis

Unless he's talking about a DeHavilland... gd&r
--
Jeff C
RLHD

F/A-18.
--
- Rufus

Nemesis wrote:

Hey, I got some lovely Frog Hornets I'll sell ya! 8^) Cheers,
The Keeper (of too much crap)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comedy (Keeper) wrote:

Nah, sold my last one when the Special Hobby came out. Still got some sawed-off nacelles to try to graft onto an Airfix Whirlwind.
MArk Schynert