1/48 hornet

Easy question, probably a not-so-easy answer: which is the best Hornet in 1/48 scale?

Reply to
Nemesis

Hasegawa

Reply to
Dave Williams

And in 1/72? I don't have either the space or the patience for 1/48...

SP

Reply to
Sebastian Palm

Also Hasegawa.

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

Easy return question, maybe a not-so-easy answer: Which Hornet? At a guess, you're talking about the F-16, and I presume the other posters so guessed. Those of us who appreciate aircraft with propellers were probably anticipating an enquiry about something more toothsome than another stupid flying blowtorch. Anyway, not really knowing what you mean, I'd say Classic Airframes in 1/48 and Special Hobby in 1/72.

Mark Schynert (in an especially rantish mood)

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Taen again, since the F-16 isn't a Hornet, you might mean the FA-18. Dang blowtorches all blend together after a while.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

dude, chill, aeon flux marathon on mtv.

Nemesis

[Hornets!]

I kind of thought so, but I wanted to make sure... I've built two Italeri Hornets, and frankly, they stunk. My local shop doesn't do Fujimi, and having Hasegawa kits available at a decent price is a fairly recent development...

I've got one Hasegawa Hornet under construction, but since work on that stalled six months ago, I couldn't find the "lumps and bumps" sprue for the C-model - I've got the fins installed, and the leaf antennae, but the blisters are missing. And some gremlin or other broke the axle for the front landing gear, so it's only got one nosewheel. Does anyone think the nose gear off an Italeri Super Hornet might be an acceptable substitute?

SP

Reply to
Sebastian Palm

Can't you replace the axel with some sprue?

Reply to
Nemesis

The really expensive one and we all know which one that is. :-)

Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

I'd rahter replace the complete part, since my "quick fixes" tend to have just under zero durability... I've got the remains of at least four Italeri Super Hornets lying around, none of which I used the landing gear for since I used to (and still do) hate painting the damned things. Is there any kind of white paint that'll actually look good, without needing a thousand coats or looking like I've coated things in Tippex? Or - my favorite - turning yellowish brown on contact with air?

SP

Reply to
Sebastian Palm

Unless he's talking about a DeHavilland... gd&r

Reply to
Jeff C

Without doubt.

However, you can get about 3 Revellogram Hornets for the price of a Hasegawa, the Revellogram kit isn't that much worse, and you don't have to be frightened about ruining one :)

It's your call.

Reply to
Jeff C

Hasegawa.

Reply to
Rufus

Hasegawa.

Reply to
Rufus

No. Use a small drill bit and a piece of brass or plastic rod, or stretched sprue to peg a new axle into the broken part.

Reply to
Rufus

Except for a few (minor, workable) fit problems here and there, and IIRC a bit-too-blunt nose... OTOH, they look OK to me.

(Bracing for the "But it's got raised panel liiiiiinnnneeessss!" whine-fest.)

Reply to
EGMcCann

Precisely! Nothing like metal rod (got a pin or a paper clip?) to fix broken gear.

On your paint note you need to go to a Railroad hobby store and get Floquil Reefer white. Best white in the industry; I haven't had any yellow on me. Same with their Crystal Cote or their flat. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper