15mm wargaming model questions

First, I'm sort of a newbie - the last model I built was nigh onto 35 years ago, though I've been lurking here for a bit. Anyhow, I picked up a model of a one-gun schooner, War of 1812 vintage, produced for the wargaming trade (Thoroughbred Models is the maker). The waterline hull is resin, the spars small dowels, the sails paper, and the fittings are white metal. It is in '15mm' scale, the crew figures (white metal) are a little shy 3/4 inch high, which makes the scale about 1:100 or thereabouts. I am of a mind to try to make this reasonably nice (running rigging, deadeyes on the shrouds, etc.), and have some questions for the assembled wisdom of the group: First, the hull casting has some (well, quite a few) small indentations which I suspect were bubbles in the resin. I'm thinking of using spackle to smooth them out before painting. Any other suggestions? Also, I haven't worked with resin before (I figure CA is the adhesive of choice here). Second, I need to make a mess of little blocks (running rigging) and deadeyes. Card stock? Slices of styrene rod? Other suggestions?

I *think* I can do most of the rest, but I'd appreciate any advise you all can give me.

Oh, by the way, this is not for gaming, just modelmaking. Thanks.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Willemin