Re: Lindberg Captain Kidd

I purchased this the other day.. it's basically a plastic kit of a >galleon style ship.

>It has plastic sails, I'm wondering if anyone else has had any experience >with this style and whether it's best to leave them off... sometimes a >galleon looks better without sails.

I worked on this (in its original incarnation as the Pyro Soverign of the Seas) with a friend and we did this: Get some linen cloth, fairly dense thread count, and lay it over the plastic sails. Outline the sails on the cloth and cut to match. Stain or dye (for want of a better word) the cloth a pale yellow cream. Roll (furl) the sails up and tie them to the spars. Continue rigging as per (lack of) instructions. The linen is more to scale and furled, the sails look nice. If you want to leave the sails unfurled, you'll have to figure out how they're tied down (we didn't go that far) and also edge the linen somehow to keep it from unraveling. HTH,

The Old Timer

In addition to that, I would suggest that you build the ship as the "Sovereign of the Seas"; the detail is molded in and I don't think that Kidd's ship would have had all that geegaw on it. That's molded in and removing it would be a pain in the arse. Remember that the carvings were covered in gilt-work (gold) and the vessel itself would have been very colorful. I would try some Royal Navy websites with regards to historical vessels to at least get illustrations of English warships of that era. The model represents the ship between the years 1637 (launch) and 1652 (conversion to two-deck for greater stability) Kidd's timeframe was, IIRC at the end of the 17th Century and ships had started to change significantly by then.

The Old Timer

Tip:

If you're going to furl the sails, don't start with a full size sail. Whatever material you use, it is significantly thicker and less pliable than it would be if it were truly to scale. You'll get a more realistic look if you start with only half a sail's worth of material.

-Bill

Reply to
RC Boater

significantly by

I did a quick google search on "sovereign of the sea" and came up with:-

They look very similar to the hull structure of my model so I think you're on the money again. Thanks for that..

I'll get some idea of the rigging as well and will name the ship accordingly.

Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

Mitch -- Glad to help, have fun!