Creating nets for a model ship

Hello,

Does anyone know a good method for fixing string together to make nets for a model ship? I was considering glue, but am not sure what type of glue to use as some leave a film and some harden the string.

Thanks, David

Reply to
D. W. Faulkner

What scale and what model? I am currently putting together a list of "necessaries" for an old Lindberg Shrimp Boat. For the netting (which was NOT included), I've looked at the type of netting that fresh oranges come in, and have made a couple of trips to the local fabric store to see what they have. I have more-or-less settled on a fabric net that comes in black and several other colors. It'll have to be washed a few times to take the stiffness out of it, nut it generally looks doable.

The Old Timer

Hello John,

It's the H.M.S. Victory by Heller in 1/100 scale. The kit includes a frame with notches for creating the nets and only mentions to use glue. I haven't thought about using a fabric store, great idea. So, the search continues. I am also going to look for some material to use instead of the plastic sails that were included.

Thanks for the response, David

Reply to
D. W. Faulkner

If you can get a copy of the book about creating the models for the Hornblower TV series it tells you in there how they did it- very thin cotton if remember.

Cheers Kev

Reply to
KEV OF BBA

Oh - oh. Those are not nets, they are the shrouds and ratlines. The shrouds were VERY substantial pieces of work, as they were the only thing that kept the mast from snapping in two and falling sideways into the sea. They should be made from pretty sturdy thread even in 1:100 scale, I'd say 0.75 mm or something in that region (off the top of my head) for the lower masts, thinner for the topmasts and topgallant masts. In every case they should be thinner than the corresponding stay, but no thinner than the backstays.

The ratlines on the other hand formed the rungs in a kind of rope-ladder leading up to the top of the mast, the shrouds being the vertical posts of the same so to speak. Ratlines were made from very thin rope, they only had to support the weight of a man rather than a whole mast.

Rather than using the worthless Heller notched-frame jig I'd suggest you rig the shrouds to the mast one by one (well, two by two, actually, each rope leading from the forward deadeye on the side up to the masthead, around it and down to the second deadeye and so on - first you place the foremost pair on the port side, then the foremost pair on starboard, then the second pair on port and so on). When all the shrouds are in place you can add the ratlines, you can either tie them to each and every shroud with a clove-hitch as was done in real life or you can go lazy and sew them in place. Your call. It's a lot of work either way.

Anyway, this structure simply cannot be simulated with ready-bought netting of any kind, it will look totally wrong. Get the "Anatomy of the ship" book about Victory, this will be a good guide to the rigging and a vital supplement to the kit manual if you want a halfway decent result. The kit is plenty large enough to add all the rigging detail you like.

The hammock-nettings on the other hand are a different story. Black tulle will work nicely for those.

Staale Sannerud

Reply to
Staale Sannerud

As was stated, those are ratlines; I might have an article from FSM scanned on how to do those, I'll check later in the day and forward it to you if I do. As to sails, as was stated some time ago here, get yourself some thin cotton or even better, some linen sheets. Size them with starch and drape them over the plastic sheets. Allow to dry throughly and HARD (maybe a day or two). The fabric cane then be popped off the plastic forms and cut to size. Stain them with black tea or coffee (I prefer Lapsang Souchong, but that's so I can drink some while I paint it on the cloth) and again, allow to dry completely. HTH,

The Old Timer

The kit also includes a plastic frame to build the netting that you put in the hammock frames around the rails of the ship. As was pointed out, try the wedding vail material called tulle instead. It's not readly available now but years ago ship modelers used drafting linen to make their sails. Good luck finding any of it though if you do please please let me know where..

Reply to
ARMDCAV

No, I think he was referring to the netting that goes in the area below the bowsprit and along the tops of the bulwarks (where the crew's sea bags were stored). The kit instructions talk about making your own net material (using a supplied jig), but IMO you would get easier and better results using readymade material, such as that used for wedding veils (dyed black, of course).

Reply to
Alexander Arnakis

A good fabric store or a craft store has nylon mesh (e.g., tulle) in all different sizes and colors. The only difficulty with this material is that it does not readily drape like real nets will. A little gentle coaxing with a heat gun will put it into shape.

Probably not available, except the way I got it. A close friend is an architect. For my birthday, a few years back, he combed the entire East Coast (so he say's) and got architect friends of his to donate their scraps -- which will probably last me for all the remaining models I'm likely to build in my lifetime. It is the best -- after you wash out the starch in hot water. I have been told that this material is still available in the UK and that it is still being manufactured in zchekoslovakia -- but I haven't confirmed either. \

Boris

Reply to
Boris Beizer

You've been talking to my wife. I like washing the stuff down with some good homemade beef jerky, well smoked as well.

The Old Timer