Lindberg 1/48 P-47N

I know Lindberg is almost out of the model business, but when did they start production on the 1/48 P-47N? The reason I am asking this, is that I have discovered a old Kodachrome 35mm slide, from the family archives, that shows a finished model sitting on top of a radio. Behind the model is the box it came in with the Lindberg logo clearly visible. After calling my dad, as this was a picture he took with his Argus C-3 camera, he said that model belonged to a college friend of his and he was pretty sure the pic was made in his last year of college, which was 1953( I was 5 years old!). I always thought that plastic kits weren't available till the late 50s? Were they making them earlier than that? Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

I have heard (could be wrong) that Olin (Lindberg's predecessor) made the P-47 during the late 1940s, as well as the Ercoupe and Stinson. These were thick plastic and moderately detailed. None had cockpits and I don't think that the Jug came with landing gear.

The Old Timer

Were they making them earlier than that?

Mike,

Lindberg was making plastic kits in the very early fifties. I have some from 1951. Before that I believe they were offering balsa (block carve, not stick and tissue) kits. These early fifties kits were subjects like the Mooney Mite, Knight Twister, Howard 'Pete', Ercoup, Navion, etc. Solid body (no glazing) and about a dozen pieces each (including 2 for the stand). Fifteen to twenty-five cents, ten cents for the Testor's tube glue (we won't get into Ross' 'safe' glue, a product so inert that the kit would fall apart as soon as it dried) and a dime a piece for Testors or Pactra paints (the same small bottles that cost over a buck today).

I am surprised at a P-47N in 1953 however. I remember that kit being motorized (you had to assemble the electric motor yourself, I remember being too young to handle the winding of all that copper wire) so my memory is that it was a later release-but it's possible it was around in 1953.

I hope someone can give you a more definitive answer.

Steve

Reply to
Rabbi

I got their F-94C Starfire when I was 5 and that was in 1953, so they have been doing things for a long time. The first version of the P-47 could have come out then, but I also recall it sprouting bombs, rockets, landing gear, and eventually the engine noted earlier over its production life.

Cookie Sewell AMPS

Reply to
AMPSOne

"The Old Timer" wrote

****** The Lindberg P-47N Kit No.2319 [the one I have] was issued in 1978-81 and was originally issued as No.511-98. This kit does not have the electric motor [Kit 303M-100 did] but it does have gear, or at least two long plastic sprues to represent the gear. There are no wheel wells although gear doors are provided. The only thing on the instructions or in the kit that I could find to indicate that it was a P-47N was the lettering on the stand. The kit history information comes from WW2 Aircraft Kits by John Burns.

Also from Mr. Burns' publication:

Lindberg 511-98 Republic P-47N issued in the mid 1950's and then in the mid 1960's with the same kit number. Also issued in Europe by Model Toys in the mid 1950's. Re-issued as 550-98, 303M-100/129, 3107M-150/200,

3106M-250, 2319 and 70502. Also issued by Marusan as 852, RSL as 424, UPC as 5056 and Boycraft as R511. Originally issued as 511 under the O-lin logo.

I'd guess that the 'M' in the kit number indicates a motorized kit.

Woof! Quite a history. Thank you Mr. Burns. Now that the Academy and Monogram P-47N's have hit the market I guess the old Lindberg, et al, kit can rest in peace on the shelf without fear of being built. Hmmmmm, with all the nice posts about word usage lately I wonder if I have all the apostrophes and commas and thingys in the right place? :-)

Cheers - Jim.

Reply to
Jim

Is this the kit? Instructions have a copyright date 1952.

Jer038

try this link

Jer038

Possibly the AURORA P-47N?

Reply to
MATTHEW ELLIOTT HOPSON

Reply to
Mike Keown

Thank You All for your Help in solving this minor family mystery. By the way Dad called me the next day and told me that his friend had left him that model when he moved away after graduation. Dad asked me if remembered what happened to it? I said I didn't to which he responded: " A certain 'little person' got his hands on it and figured it looked like an airplane so it must fly...?" Any way I leave the rest to your imagination( especially you who are 'blessed' with small kids with curious eyes and hands) :-) Seasons Greetings to All Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

I made in 1954, the" Panther" and the " XF- 90" or "91", in plastic I think in 1/48 scale those kits where very good at the time, Roland IPMS "Mike Keown" a écrit dans le message de news:HxlDb.14$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net...

Reply to
roland sturbelle