Lindberg Molds

Lindberg had some real good kits in their " Golden Age of Aviation" series. Now that the company doesn't make model planes any more...what happened to the molds? I know their Gloster Gladiator MkII was a good kit and wondered if some other company picked it up? Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

Pardon me jumping in your topic Mike, but I can remember the Lindberg Vulcan when it sat up front in the toy shop window. Never got it though. So your post got me wondering if anyone might re-issue it anytime, and if it was actually any good accuracy-wise if they were to do so. I recall it was the 'odd' scale of 1/96 and it was white and it was the straight wing - after that it gets hazy....lol. Chek

Reply to
Chek

I've seen some of their military kits recently reissued like the Stiletto and the Valkerie aircraft and vessels like the Gato and Nautilas submarines. The landing crafts for the tank and personnel as well.

Too bad they are sticking to hopper cars. They did some decent movie related kits like the Jurrasic Park dinosaurs and the ID4 Alien and Alien Attacker. It showed that they still had potential. Rob Gronovius Visit my motor pool in the

gallery

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

I have a Lindberg 72561 Gladiator on my disposal list. It is a nice kit, considering that it was first produced by Inpact in 1967.

Anybody want it drop me a line.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

From Al:

Yeah, maybe so but not like 29 cents for the 'window box' 1/72 A/C and 1/32 autos back when, right Al?

-- Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net Springfield OH

Reply to
Charles Ryan

You're giving your age away, Charlie!

Bill Shuey (who remembers Comet, Megow, Maircraft, etc. Balsa wood solid models for as low as $0.25)

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Right - damn, we're *old*! ;-p I loved their Mustang which for many years was the only accurate (though crude) P-51D on the market - built a ton of them in my younger days......

OTOH bottom tier domestic kits are still pretty cheap considering inflation.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

me. and the spirit of st louis was expensive, 99 cents.

if it looks like a vulcan, it must be a vulcan. lindberg,monogram,revell, aurora, even comet, got a lot of people started in a great hobby. what's out there now for the newbies?

Reply to
KONDA24

lots of kits, but no real advertising. like coin collecting, (another passion with motorcycles i have) modeling is an old farts hobby.

Like most early '60s kits the parts are well-moulded but thick, there's heavy raised-line detail and it was of a prototype. It also was one of several Lindberg kits (original issue) that came with a gizmo that allowed the builder to 'fly' the plane on a stand. There was a flexible tube that ran down the stand and over to a quadrant with a stick. Moving the stick to and fro made the model do the same. Having built a Victor that way I can say that it worked fairly well although one got bored with it eventually. As far as the scale, at least it had some relationship to the real thing instead of being 1/53. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

From Konda24:

Airfix and Heller are alive and well(?) GM is always having those on sale. Great for getting your feet wet and not all that bad. At shows you can usually pick up old Monogram and Revell 1/72s from $2-$6, 1/48s for not much more. Later war ships are a different story, like the Independence w/ F7Us, FJ4s and A3s IIRC