1950-60 Army Observation Plane

I know it wasn't a Piper Cub but what was it? I'd like to find a kit

- Ebay most likely. TIA. csmdave

Reply to
David Herbach

Probably a Cessna O-1 Birddog. Airfix has a 1/72 one, Hasegawa IIRC is releasing a 1/48 one & there was a 1/48 kit out under another company a few years ago & there's also the Guillow's balsa & tissue kit in about

1/24 scale
Reply to
famvburg

Single engined Cessna O-19 was used in Korea and Vietnam. Don't know about any specific kits, but I'm sure that others will post and help. Regards, Bob

Reply to
Robert N. Schaub

I'd bet its the L-19 birddog

Chris

David Herbach wrote:

Reply to
Chris Spierings

Dave, sounds like the O-1A Birddog to me. Airfix did a 1/72 scale kit of it and Modelcraft or Model USA (something like that) did a 1/48 scale one. Eduard did a PE set for the 1/48 kit too. I've got that kit, not too bad.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

The DeHavailland DHC-2Beaver was one and the DHC-3 Otter was another (U-1a was its military desgination) They were utility and transport, but were also used as scout planes. Hasegawa makes both.

Lance Mertz Ketchikan, AK Lance Mertz Ketchikan, Alaska Toujours Prete

Nospam in email address to respond.

Reply to
Lance Mertz

Also, wasn't the Cessna O-2 in service at that time? I know it was used in Vietnam. It was the military version of the Model 337 Skymaster.

The Old Timer

Maybe in Alaska, but not in the rest of the world!! In 1/72nd Airfix and Hobby Craft made both float and wheel versions of the Beaver and the same with the Otter. Airfix also did a Beaver. In 1/48th only Hobby Craft did the Beaver and Otter.

Hobby Craft's Beaver is marginally better than the Airfix kit, but not my a whole lot.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Filer

The O-2 wasn't until the '60s sometime. Besides, I can see maybe confusing a Cub & a Bird Dog, but hardly a Cub & a Skymaster!

Reply to
famvburg

Possibly an L-5 (?) Stinson.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

I ~wasn't~ confusing the two. I thought that the original poster asked about observation aircraft during the Vietnam era. I ~did~ screw up in not knowing when the O-2 went on-line.

The Old Timer

Did anybody ever answer this? The single-engined observation plane used by the US Army in the '50s/'60s was the Cessna L-19/O-1. The best kit is in 1/48th by USA-Model (OOP), which I believe has been re-popped by somebody else in the last few years. From memory the kit did not have US Army markings.

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@erols.com)

Reply to
John Hairell