Airfix TSR2

I saw a stack of these in Antics in Coventry earlier today, anyone seen what the kit's like yet? Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

The initial reports I've seen (including a TSR.2 expert) are favorable.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

a coment in the german ipms with pics

Manuel

"Bill Davies" a écrit dans le message de news: 4400f3c7$0$6981$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net...

Reply to
Jose-Manuel Estevez

No, apostrophes started to be terribly misused to make plurals and the like about that long ago so now the rules are more than a little misty to some folks.

Reply to
Jessie C

Hi, Bill, My kit's on the way from sunny Lowestofy (UK), or so I'm told.

I'm not sure what you're asking. You ask "what the kit's like?" What is the kit's what like? Or have you misplaced the apostophe? I'm always confused when people do that!

If you're asking what the kit >>is

Reply to
Jonathan

I'm asking what the "kit is" like. According to the way English grammar was taught in my schooldays, an apostrophe is useed to signify the missing "i", making the contraction "kit's". Have the rules of grammar really changed that substantially in the last 20 years? Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

Sorry ... but think about "the dog wagged its tail" and "the dog's tail". The first does not need a possessive and therefore there's no need for the apostrophe. The second does because the tail belongs to the dog. "It's a rainy day" also needs an apostrophe because it means it is a rainy day.

English must be one of the most complex langauges, don't you think?

I hope we all find out what Airfix's TSR2 is like soon. Mine hasn't arived yet although Hannants have taken my money.

Reply to
Jonathan

I always found it easier than Welsh, my other first langauge. Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

The one that really gets my goat, so to speak, is using "your" instead of "you're" and "there" instead of "their".

(I did see "walking the dog's back in 5 minutes" on our local kennels. Now that's an act I would pay to see!)

TSR 2 is fantastic. Got two this evening. High quality mouldings in white, recessed panel lines, good detail to the U/C and wheel wells. Comes with "special weapon" and bomb bay can be displayed open.

No doubt avionics bay will follow in resin very soon?

BTW: "Eats shoots and leaves" - definitive source for grammar in the

21st century. English is really easy to learn. I picked it up when I was a baby... G
Reply to
Graeme Cosgrove

Going through the instructions for the umpteenth time and am curious about the colours quoted for the cnopies.

What is 1322 ?

Gondor

Reply to
Gondor

OK, forget that, I checked the IPMS Stockholm web site and found that the colour was "Clear Orange" !!!!

So the instruction want us to paint the canopy glass that !!!!!

Please tell Me this is their attempt to reproduce a gold tint to the glass, is so can anyone tell Me if that works or if there is a better way of doing this?

Gondor

Reply to
Gondor

Photographs taken at the time seem to show a definite orange tint, not gold. This appears on the canopies (over the pilot, and the windows for the nav) but not on the windshield, so the instructions are certainly wrong there.

The preserved TSR.2's at Cosford and Duxford both show a distinct orange tint to the canopies, and a grey tint to the windscreen "quarterlights" the screens either side of the flat forward screen. I don't know how much of that is due to age.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

Hi Gondor & Alan,

I've just posted in alt.binaries.models.scale a front end picture of the TSR2 showing the windscreen colours, though it is a pretty big file. (recently added new H/D & yet to get round to adding photo software).

To me it does look a faded orange, but see for yourself. Photos taken at Cosford (I think) in 2003.

Cheers, Stephen.

Reply to
SL

Yes. They arrived at my local model shop today, and when I called in to collect mine there were two other modellers already there picking some up as well. Six left the store while I was there, and he only had a dozen delivered.

It is very well moulded, as good as Hasgawa's best standard for detail, finely engraved panel lines and crisp, no-flash moulding, certainly the best I've ever seen from Airfix, by a long chalk. There are two well-shaped inch-and-a-half long, deep draw moulded, jet-pipes. Gear bays and airbrake wells all have basic detailing, ribs and shapes are correct, wiring etc. is left to the modeller. Bomb bay is more basic, but can be disguised by an instrumentation package or a bucket of instant sunshine. All gear doors are provided separate, even though the big main doors were normally only ever open when the gear was cycling. Cockpit is good but basic, an opportunity for the aftermarket detail sets to fill. Intakes are very good, with boundary-layer splitter and trunking detailed further back than anyone can see without an endoscope. The all-moving tail surfaces can be left movable, the pins have collars to put on the inside. Parts breakdown is excellent, vertically split fuselage but with one-piece wing (just like the real thing) and panel sections to apply to form the flat surfaces aft of the intakes, the only difficult seam will be from wing to cockpit.

Decals and details (camera blisters, undercarriage struts) are for the three completed airframes, XR219, 220 and 222, all in pale anti-flash pastels.

Items I will have to build include the recce pack, pylons and possibly external weapons, but Airfix has delivered the airframe as it existed, leaving what-ifs up to the modeller.

I've been waiting for this for forty years. It is as good as I could wish for, and almost makes the wait worthwhile. If it fits as well as it looks - it will be superb. If you've ever wanted to build a TSR.2, get one now, if you can find any left on the shelves.

Reply to
Alan Dicey

There are some good pics on the Thunder And Lightnings pages for TSR.2, too

Alan Dicey

We had 40 delivered (with 2 for me personally and two spare). I have lost one of mine to a customer and the two spare have gone. We are expecting another 10 in tomorrow and I don't expect them to last long. I took one down to IPMS Ipswich (UK) on Tuesday - mine so it was fully opened and the general opinoin was that they kit was well made and (for once) airfix decals are first class).

If anyone wants one of our 10 then they had better call quickly 01473

464311 or snipped-for-privacy@sbxmodelshop.co.uk. We ship in the UK free of charge and would ship to the US at cost. the UK price is £16.99

David SBX Model Shop

SBX Model Shop

david

I went to Hannants today. They have less than 20 left - and this is from a consignment of 2000! If you want a TSR2, then get your order in as soon as possible.

I wonder whether Airfix would consider re-issuing it, or do you think that the first batch will satisfy everyone who wanted one and so the market will dry up quickly?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I know people are working to offer resin/brass sets for these parts.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

"Enzo Matrix" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I'm one of those poor sods who will probably miss out... not too many arrived in Australia and Hannants are probably out of stock by now. )c:

Anyone got one or two to sell?

RobG

Reply to
RobG

tsr2 thepubwithnobeer co uk or remove spam from the posting address.

I saw a bunch on Tuesday(UK) , Rob, drop me a line and I'll gen you up Cheers Damian

Reply to
Damian