black and white painting question probably asked before...

anyone ever try to paint a subject as it appears in WWII black and white photos? figures, buildings, etc... could be an interesting diversion

Craig

Reply to
crw59

on 5/28/2008 10:33 PM snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net said the following:

I've done it for years. I've digitally colored portraits, old B&W photos, changed colors, etc. I also do a lot of digital manipulations on photos, like removing items, people, etc. Every picture on my page here was originally a B&W photo.

picture on the same site shows my removal of items from a photo:

willshak

I believe he means the models / figures would be painted b&w + shades of gray to match the original photo, not manipulate the photo to make it color????

I must admit, hadn't thought of that one.....

Reply to
OldSchool

yes, I meant to paint them the way we see them in movies, books, etc.

Reply to
crw59

I almost did. I painted the Revell re-issue of the old Aurora Superman in shades of gray and brown, like the costume in the B&W tv episodes. But I still used flesh color on the hands and face. In other words, it represents George Reeves. I then removed the color in a pic. I also discovered that with very little manipulation it could be made to appear red and blue...neat. Unfortunately that pic is on another pc in another state right now, as is the model...

Reply to
eyeball

OK. You want to paint "the model" in B&W and shades of grey? I guess that would be different and challenging, but boring! :-)

Reply to
willshak

I think that could turn out as one of the more interesting ideas I've heard of lately - and the possibilities for getting creative with photographing it could get even more interesting.

WAY far from "boring"...

Reply to
Rufus

We had a guy named Barry Gaszo do that at one of the AMPS shows here in Maryland in 2003 -- was a scene from Guadacanal I think and all done in greys, blacks and whites. Very striking!

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

I ran into this type of diorama at the last MassCar model show in April 2008.

Someone hollowed out an old BW TV set and built a 1:25 scale diorama inside it. It was all done in shaded of gray and a flourescent tube illumintated it. So it looked just like it would if it was displayed on a BW picture tube, except that it was 3D. It was very well done! While I don't recall exactly, it depicted an old car in a wooded area.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

very cool idea.

Reply to
someone

This is a cool idea. It seems particularly fitting for subjects from B&W movies. There's a line of screen edition monster figures that are done in gray-scale. Here's an example:

vol30w60

Rufus wrote in news:exF%j.131356$TT4.29974@attbi_s22:

The main problem IMHO is this: Real B&W film looks very different, to me anyway, than a modern film shot or adjusted to B&W as a form of "film noir". I don't believe that modern era people "see" B&W like they did back then. There is a feel to them wherein the range of grays is fully exploited. I would think it, the model, would come out looking more like decolorized color film rather than true B&W.

OTOH an artist I ain't. If it can be done it would really nice. But remember about the color adjustments, too. We know now that some percentage of US armor was camoed with black over the OD, yet in almost any B&W photo a coat of dust or mud makes it go away. We also know that some percentage of german armor in the early years had 2 colors on them but again find a B&W picture that accruately shows it. Gun camera film notoriously washes out color differences at least to my eyes due to the very bright backgrounds.

Good luck.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Yeah - that's the challenge, and why I also think it would be interesting to shoot the finished model in both B&W and color wet film afterwards and see what you get. Could be an interesting experiment...I know I'd have a hard time painting the kit B&W because I tend to "colorize" and gradiate B&W images into colors and textures mentally...and trying to do it in such a manner as to render a true uniformly B&W/greyscale painted kit independent of lighting so you could light and capture it on film properly would be another challenge.

I've spent way too much time evaluating images...

See - interesting.

Reply to
Rufus

Reply to
Ron Smith

One of the figure painters had a piece in competition some years back - he made a boxed diorama with an old 5os TV as the box and set the figures inside as if you were watching a 1950s TV broatcast.

Reply to
Val Kraut

Ron Smith wrote in news:4Y50k.96$jN1.52@trnddc08:

Indeed! I had thought of that but not expressed it. B&W are "real" grays incremental shades between white and black, whereas grey paints tend to have as you note ant number of other colors added in.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost