a parade ground spit shine but
not so bland as most flat black
paints. This type of boot would be the
most common issue worn by the
German Army between 1939 to 45.
Mike IPMS
Reply to
Michael Keown
Drywash with white "artists' tube acrylics" or some earth tone acrylic.
Reply to
klmok
Sounds like another good application for Testors MM Aircraft Interior Black.
I'd try painting the boots brown (leather) first, and then spotting them with Interior Black with an airbrush, or dry brushing that color - letting the leather color show through a bit to simulate scuffs through to the raw leather.
Reply to
Rufus
Also same technique but wipe your finger on the end of your nose (not the inside) first to get some oil, then burnish a bit. That makes a very convincing leather look.
Reply to
Stephen Tontoni
Don't know exactly the project your working on, but a trick I learned years ago was to lightly bring the color of the diorama ground up onto the boots with pastels or other weathering methods. Helps to make the soldiers blend with the scene.
Michael Keown wrote:
Reply to
dave999
The thing to remember is that there is no such thing as black leather. It's all dyed that color and any wear will be a raw sienna color.
Also, instead of starting off with a black base, use a very dark gray.
-- Matt Clemons
Reply to
Matt Clemons
Raw sienna? Funny, my old black biker boots had leather that was grey throughout. Leather can be bright chrome yellow, russet, tan, grey, green, cream, choclate borwn or pink all the way through. It depends on the type of leather, the tanning process and the types of dyes used. Black dyes boot leather tends to be grey through the thickness or greenish.
Matt Clem>
Reply to
Ron