British Matilda - Used throughout the war?

wondering if it would be "proper" to use the Matilda in late war diorama settings in Europe.

thx - Craig

any chance of a Matilda vs. King Tiger encounter? :-)

Reply to
Musicman59

No Matildas in '44 NW Europe.

Only late war Matildas are the Australian Frogs in New Guinea.

Reply to
El Viejo Dragon

Highly unlikely. Soviets may have had some of their Matildas still running as late as 1944 (IIRC production was continued until 1943 for that purpose). Germans captured several after Dunkirk and never threw anything away, although whether they were still gun tanks or had been converted to some other use is unclear.

Regards,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

Rommel supposedly chose one as his personal vehicle.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I believe he used the AEC Armoured Command Vehicle, based on the AEC Matador (not Matilda!) truck.

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

Wulf Corbett wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

this says it was a dorchester, good pic, too.

someone

Ah, well, it was an AEC...

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

Wulf Corbett wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

hey, i cheated.....

Reply to
someone

Hold on, we're both right, the Dorchester was based on the Matador chassis...

Wulf

Reply to
Wulf Corbett

Wulf Corbett wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

ah, sher gut. i forgot how to do an umlatt on a qwerty windows pos.....

Reply to
someone

None. Matildas were withdrawn before the end of the North African campaign. They were used against the Japanese in the far east through the late war years. Gerald Owens

Reply to
Gerald Owens

Moramarth wrote

I'm pretty sure I've seen a picture (probably in an Almark(?) pamphlet on German SPGs of foreign origin) showing a Matilda with a gun (memory says a French 47mm AT gun but I don't know it the French even had 47mm AT guns) mounted in a home-made looking square box where the turret should be.

They also stuck 37mm PAKs onto Universal carriers, which look quite cute, if ineffective.

Reply to
Rik Shepherd

One Matilda, with 5cm PAK, used for coastal defense.

Reply to
El Viejo Dragon