Camper model

The trailer/camper thread struck a nerve and made me wonder if there is or has been a model pickup with a camper, not a shell but an overhead type camper? It would be kinda neat to scratch one perhaps and mount on an older PU model. Then again, I built a all wood one for the back of my old 59 Chevy PU many years ago. I suppose one could do the same for a model too. Who says it has to be mfgr'd.

Reply to
Grandpa

And I cut half the roof out of an old Kombi many years ago and added a bit of sailtrack and some vinyl to make it openable to be a four foot long sunroof. Should be able to scratchbuild it from any of a number of early split windscreen VW Kombi kits, and a painted bit of cotton cloth. Will have to carefully cut out the roof panel so it shows the original rough bent over edges!

I won't need to find decals as the original artwork was hand painted with a four inch brush and some left over house paint.

Does anyone make a selection of scale beer bottles, pizza boxes and joints to leave inside it?

;
Reply to
Bushy

YUP......that would be the MPC Chevy Open Road Camper. I happened to see one displayed at a model show and then found a dealer who was selling one. They are pretty rare and a lot of folks are looking for one. This model is a bit pricey. I paid $150.00 for mine and thats about the going rate. Fred's model world website has it listed on his barometer list of rare models. If you want to see a picture of it I can email ya.

Mangry

Reply to
Mangry

Grandpa,

There has been but one pickup-based camper model kit done, AFIK, and that is the old MPC '69 Chevy pickup with the Open Road "frame-mount" camper (more of a mini-motor home than a pickup camper). Those are hard to come by, and pricey when you do find one.

No slide-in campers that I have ever seen though.

Art Anderson

Reply to
EmilA1944

While on the camper/trailer subject, I picked up two new Hongwell 1/72 diecast models today.

One is the VW Wagon with a decent sized travel trailer. The other is a VW Beetle with one of those tiny streamlined trailers. Both the Beetle and the little trailer are burgendy red. The trailer has a propane tank mounted on the foreward part of the frame and a nicely done wood finish for the appropriate panels.

At $6.50 each they are excellent value for the money. Both sets are typical superb Hongwell quality. Got mine at Berkeley Ace Hardware, who had a half dozen of each on hand.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

All you need is tiny lettering that says "If this trailer (or camper) is rockin', don't come knockin'. Remember those?

These can be had in 1/24 as dollhouse items. There are several web sites that cater to that stuff.

Hmmm, must have been a Ford.

Reply to
Grandpa

From Art:

--Don't know if you consider AMTs 65 Elcamino as a 'real' PU but I have the issue with a camper, not the cap. It is just a shell that mounts over the tailgate, making it look as a slide in would. Looks as convincing as the 1:1 I almost bought years ago for my GMC Sprint. Chuck Ryan snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net Springfield OH

Reply to
Charles Ryan

not my auction.

Reply to
Ted

Well, of course, the entire Ranchero-El Camino-Sprint concept was a hybrid, pretty much the same as the Australian Ute (Utility), enough so that GM referred to the El Camino originally as a "sedan-pickup" in their shop manuals, and factory assembly manuals.

While of course not nearly as sophisticated as the "slide-in" pickup truck campers that came later, the camper-shell idea certainly did kick off a trend.

Art

Reply to
EmilA1944