BIG Mosler cabinet -- What have I got here?

Hi all.

Well, the subject line says it all. Pictures here:

It's currently locked, and I have no combination.

Specifically, the kinds of things I'm wondering...

Does this look like a burgulary cabinet or a fire cabinet? Is it particularly good at either?

How much does such a monster typically weigh? I have no means of weighing it, but would like to transport it.

What is such a cabinet worth? Without a combination?

Typical cost to have a professional open and repair?

I appologize if these are FAQs. I'm new around here, and only because I've stumbled across this big metal box.

Many thanks,

/chris

Reply to
googlegroups

cute..

2 places to go visit..
see if there is someone near you..since it IS in the open as such, an 'attack ' does present itself to me, that would not do a lot of damage.. and would be easily repairable.

in the PUBLIC section.. post it there, the LINK to the pictures and state you need help identifying same..

ROUGH guess-if its a FIRE container, its easier to open than a BURGLAR container, just because.. and if they 'just happen to put hard plate under the fire container lock.. all bets are off. thats just my opinion.. off the top of my head.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Yikes, I got it open!

This was my first safecracking experiment, and I did it in about 2 hours!

I'd never have guessed it would be so easy.

Updated pictures at

So, now that it's open, I can see it's a TL-15 burgulary safe. Yowza, there's a lot of metal here.

Any comments on what such a cabinet typically weighs?

Value?

Thanks again.

/chris

Reply to
googlegroups

And how did you get it open?

There are no holes in it and you didn't manipulate it.

-- Bob DeWeese, CML snipped-for-privacy@spaambearlock.com (remove "no spaam")

Bear Lock & Security Service, Inc - A full service locksmith company specializing in professional, cost effective solutions to your Safe, Commercial, and Residential Security Problems.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Bob, I'm sure you could help me here, why don't you?

Does knowing how I got it open help determine its weight or help you comment on whether such a box is junk or not?

Anyhoo, as for your assertion that I didn't manipulate it, well, i guess i got lucky. 3 passes and about 140 combinations dialed:

So, anybody have an idea if this monster will kill my little truck with a 3000 lb axle rating?

Thanks.

/chris

Reply to
googlegroups

IF you have a FULL SIZE.. you 'might' make it.. a little one? no

a fire rated safe... weight.. find the weight per cu in of steel.. and I am making an ASSUMPTION here.

measure each side, and the wall thickness.. IF its filled with NON concrete, then I would (picking a number out of air) discount 1/2 of the wall thickness- I am allowing for X amount of non concrete to equal 1 cu in of steel..sasuming the walls are 2" or so.. if they are thicker then I might think 'concrete type' filling.. and then assume the worst.. figure how many CU in of material and multiply by the weight of steel..

another question.. that floor its setting on? wood or concrete? any steps/stairs to go down? How are you going to pick it up TO the level of the truck 9assuming a PU here) and do NOT let it get on that tail gate OF the pickup..

now, I like your 3k guess, but it could also be 6.000 just as easy..

a suggestion says you MAY WANT to call a moving company that is used to dealing with moving manufacturing machinery.. like metal lathes, big wood working tools and the like.. they will have the capability of getting over that wood floor without damage, as well as getting it placed where you want it to end up.

WHY do I feel the lock has been replaced and is not original??

and PS, thats a GOOD thing, IMO on the manipulating it. (your success)

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

For information sake, the safe is a burglary rated TL-15 safe. It is NOT a fire safe. The weight is about 2500 lbs. The lock is a S&G 6730 dial lock with a "day lock" cylinder. DO NOT try to move this safe by yourself. There are companies that do this for you and have the proper equipment to do so. I hope this has helped.

Reply to
safe tech

Thank you, Shiva and safe tech.

I did some calculations based on Shiva's advice. The sides, top, bottom and back are all 7/8" thick. The door is 1 1/4" thick.

Assuming .283 lbs / in^3, the safe weighs 1960lbs. 525lbs of that is the door.

safe tech will be relieved to hear that I'm feeling intimidated by these numbers :-)

The safe is mine for $500 plus my cost to transport. Now knowing that it isn't stocked with gold bars, I think i'm gonna pass on it.

Thanks so much for the feedback. This has been a wonderful learning experience for me. I'd been scheming a brute-force attack on the combination with a stepper motor... It now seems crazy to think that I had been pleased with the idea that at 10sec / combination i could exhaust them all in 4 months.

/chris

Reply to
googlegroups

I offer 2 points to you.. it IS a 'good name brand' safe..

if you personally do not want it, then is there a chance you could sell it to someone ELSE? AND, cover your expenses?

given its size I would imagine that there might be a few places interested in such a large container.. and again, maybe in your area, no one is.. in THAT case, the current owner is going to find it HARD to 'dispose of it as well'

PS.. IMO, buying a LOCKED safe with NO combo, makes the price come in my book WAY DOWN.. I have to figure, moving, opening, and replacing the lock, and maybe repairing any drilled holed as well, in the overall value..(this the resale value) but, you successfully opened it by non destructive means.. its value to others has now greatly went up they do not have that expense..

I have one company near me, that if you were to call them, and say to open-its $400, AND fixing it back..thats EXTRA

now, I would be insulting here, BUT.. you can understand why.. assuming it was a TL rated.. and I had to drill... 'time and parts' could run $200 or so..maybe even 300..

what can I sell the safe for after wards? thats an unknown.. whats it going to cost to move? I could phone and find out but lets say $300 for a reasonable move, no stairs at either end..

I now could have $5-6 hundred in it, and maybe NO potential buyer..its not a bargain now

What would I offer them? VERY little, and explain why... IF in turn, they 'want it out of their hair', and will pay for the moving, and they want 'any contents', then, I would open it, FOR THE CONTAINER, after it was moved.. Any repairs at that point to be on ME.. anything IN the safe is theirs.. but then it becomes 2 other things as well, MY TIME to open, and MY method.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Not lucky. Looks like a pro job. LOL !

Several million points out of ten there chris !

p.s. I hope you charged the owner for the opening.

Reply to
Coherers

a little more detail on the situation:

the owner is a liquidation company, selling off assets for a customer. they don't know it's open. nothing of value inside.

as for disposal? the building is being demolished soon. a ton of steel is the least of their worries. i have to be gentle with these guys -- they're likely to say they'd rather see it destroyed with the building than give it to me for a song.

bummer.

/chris

Reply to
googlegroups

Well, seeing that they don't know the combination AND any $ is better than zero$. You might wait untl a few days before demo and make a very low offer, like $100.00US

What are they going to do with a 2500 -3000 block of steel? It is not like a whole line of people are trying to get this locked up TL-15 safe!

It is a very limited market for blocks of Steel. Last time I looked scrap steel was about $12/ton

OR you could offer to take it on consingment either way ,I wouldn't offer much for a locked up safe.

Good luck, and nice job with the manipulation.

Reply to
Keyman55

I've also manipulated safes, but many years ago. Those are very nice records you kept.

I do not know the weight. Nor have any way to find out. However, I've heard that wiht many safes about 1/3 of the weight is in the door... hint, hint....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I saw your graphs -- and understand the signifigance of such. Congratulations, that surely is fine work. You clearly have "the touch".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon