Moving a CVA single handed

Picked up my "new" CVA lathe today. It's a heavy old beast for the back of a double garage at 1450kg. I rented a 12ft platform trailer and towed it behind my Volvo V70. The
maximum towing capacity of the Volvo is 1800kg so this was right on the limit of trailer weight. However the gross train weight for the V70 is 3900KG and we'd be well under that because this trip was made with only one person along with a mobile phone and a tank of petrol.
The lathe dropped onto the trailer easily since the vendor has an overhead gantry. Dropped onto 1inch planks across the bed and strap down with 6 2 inch ratchet straps. That bit was simple. The Volvo towed impeccably at a comfortable 60mph as long as you ignore 5th gear. When I got home I reversed the trailer into the garage, manhandled the lathe onto rollers and then from a "north south" direction to "east west". I then chocked the rear of the trailer so that it wouldn't drop and I levered the lathe to the very tail of the trailer. A single strap around the bed was attached at the balance point (just in front of the chuck mount). The CVA book says lift using the special bed holes but the Monarch book (from which the CVA was copied somewhat) reccommends a bed clamp lift so I reckoned it was OK. I then lifted the lathe with a 2 tonne engine hoist on the 2 tonne setting. Remove trailer, lower lathe onto blocks and make a cup of tea.
Charles
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 16:27:47 +0100, Charles Ping

Bloody hell - those CVA lathes must have some handy accessories <G>
Regards, Tony

The
the
drop
front
Glad to hear that you've become a dab hand at these things Charles - you'll come in handy when I finally get contracts signed and the wagon starts rolling on my workshop move (I picked up another 13 pallets to load up today !)
AWEM
On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 17:08:45 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

I'll email you my hourly rate <BG>

Charles -

wagon
Is that in pallets per hour or CVAs per hour <G>
AWEM
On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 16:27:47 +0100, Charles Ping

No it doesn't work like that. GTW of 3900 Kg is based on the vehicle being taxed and used 24/7 As you are in kip 1/2 of this time that means you can pull 7,800 Kg
At least that's how I explained it to Plod last time. -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

I can usually follow the groups idoms but kip and plod escapes me. Care to elucidate?
Wes

Care to

Kip = sleep Plod = Police Officer
Just normal street slang from the 1950's - not engineering related !
AWEM
On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 22:36:55 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"

Web: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel

I think Mr Plod the policeman was in Noddy.
David
--
David Littlewood

Just goes to show we all read the best books going for information
Colin
snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote:

Wasn't Noddy banned because of a certain ethnicity? Might explain while those less aged possibly missed out on Ms Blyton's deathless prose... :-)
Tom

When we were living out in Nigeria, we thought it was quite hilarious to find a copy of Enid Blyton's "The Three Golliwogs" for sale in the local bookshop, printed long after it was banned here.
Needless to say we bought a copy for posterity.
Peter

NODDY WAS INNOCENT. It was that bastard Big Ears -- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Oh no no no no!!! It is alleged that the person from a single parent family, with magnificent aural appendages, was responsible.
Henry

PC Plod was from Bod... if you're old enough you'd still remember the phrase: here comes Bod
I think it was decided eventually that Noddy was politically correct as it showed a utopian gay relationship as per Fred and Ernie in Sesame Street
I think... but don't quote me on it

nope... no bods it was pob and no plod it was copper
so "pc-copper" was from a thing called "pob" shown sunday afternoons in the erghties. :)
all the best..mark

Always did have my suspicions about a Brownie being middle aged, white haired and having a beard.
David
--
David Littlewood

John Stevenson wrote:

> Of course it's a lot better if you pull the 7800 kg whilst the plod is having a kip. :-) c11 pm is a good time around here, as the local hoons have discovered, plod change of shift...
Tom