Canopy masking woes

Just built my first 1/72 plane in some time, an Academy Liberator. Very nice, and I painstakingly masked the turrets and all those itty bitty
panels on the canopy with liquid mask. Painted it, weathered it, peeled off the masking, to discover that the paint had crept under the masking, and the result is horrible. So, the question is: what is everyone's favourite methods of masking subjects like this, and which gives the best results with the least pain? tia, now off to try to get the paint off without destroying the rest of the finish...... "I may be some time..." as Captain Oates said.... N
--
Nigel Cheffers-Heard
photography + design

I have never liked liquid mask. It's just not as reliable as tape. Bare Metal Foil (for car models) is great for masking canopies; and once you get it in place you can shoot just a bit of glosscote to seal it against leaks, but this is not usually necessary. Glosscote won't fog clear plastic. Then shoot your color coats. Peeling it off afterward without scratching the glass is a little tricky but not too bad to get the hang of.
-John

This is what I don't get: doesn't the glosscoat "seal" the BMF to the plastic? i.e. doesn't this make the removal of the BMF after painting delicate? Thanks. -- _________________________________________ Pierre-Henri BARAS
Co-webmaster de French Fleet Air Arm http://www.ffaa.net Encyclopdie de l'Aviation sur le web http://www.aviation-fr.info

It can if you put on too heavy a coat. Just a dusting is all you need. I don't use the glosscoat unless there are VERY sharp curves, such as on a 1/72 scale ball turret. Most of the time the BMF conforms so well that you don't need to seal it. It's all I use for canopies unless it's a simple job with few curves, like on the sides of a Douglas Dauntless canopy. Then I'll just use the clear household tape. Burnish it down well and it won't need to be sealed.
-John
-John

Dauntless
Thanks, I'll try that.
-- _________________________________________ Pierre-Henri BARAS
Co-webmaster de French Fleet Air Arm http://www.ffaa.net Encyclopdie de l'Aviation sur le web http://www.aviation-fr.info
in article 3fa5155c$0$258$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr, Pierre-Henri Baras at snipped-for-privacy@free.fr wrote on 11/2/03 8:31 AM:

I've been using BMF on canopies for years and have never had to use a "sealer." I must be doing something wrong...
MB
I use either ParaFilm (Testors) or BMF like the others.
I also have tried the very thin masking tape, with liquid mask too fill in. That works very well too !!!
Key is to burnish any of the above down right at the frame line. ParaFilm wins in this regard, as it shows plainly where it has been *pressd down* and where it hasnt.
For either the BMF, or parafilm route a SHARP blade is a necessity !!
Nigel Cheffers-Heard wrote:

Some pain, but it works - I use plan old Scotch tape, burnish it down with a toothpick at the edges, and then if there is any creep (and there usually isn't) I chase that off with a toothpick. I use enamels, not sure if/how the chasing off of paint creep would work wih acrylics.
--
- Rufus

says...

Cheap and perfect: "Cheap Chocolate Foil". Better than Bare Metal Foil for masking canopies, and free with a chocolate bar! See my Stuka page for everything I know about it, plus an illustration:
http://www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/~home/rob/models/stuka.htm
These pages show its use too:
http://www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/~home/rob/models/me163.htm http://www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/~home/rob/models/etendard.htm
Rob de Bie My models: www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/~home/rob/models.htm Me 163B site: www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/~home/rob/me163.htm
in article bo8mas$pef$ snipped-for-privacy@news.tudelft.nl, Rob de Bie at snipped-for-privacy@dutlbcz.lr.tudelft.nl wrote on 11/4/03 11:06 AM:

Thanks Rob, that's one of the best tips I've seen in some time. Now I have to go buy some imported chocolate bars. Modeling is tough work!
MB
says...

have
Just out of curiosity, is chocolate packaged in the type of foil I describe in the USA or Canada? I could imagine that some countries require an airtight type of packaging for all food products.
Rob
My models: www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/~home/rob/models.htm Me 163B site: www.sml.lr.tudelft.nl/~home/rob/me163.htm
snipped-for-privacy@dutlbcz.lr.tudelft.nl (Rob de Bie) wrote:

Plenty of chocolate in the US is packaged only in foil--Hershy's Kisses, for example, and Cadbury bars (past the exterior paper sleeve), IIRC.
Mark Schynert
Rob, I was very exited to try your technique, and it worked great so far..... I was also going to pass on that Kit-Kat packages the same way... and just before I went on vacation to the UK.. But horrors! They Nestle paages them different there.... so one less source. I noted too the rarity of Hershey products.... Same in Holland.
rich
I also just noticed that it seems Hershey is longer packaging the plain ol bar in foil anymore either...
They haven't for a few years now.