Mass production canopy masking/painting - What's their trick?

I get catalogs and emails selling 1/18, etc airplanes with perfectly painted canopies. bought a lot of them too. I assume these planes are built on the assembly line. I guess they have some great system to paint/mask large numbers of subjects, and do it without mess and fast?

I can barely crank out one decent canopy.

How do they do it?

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

I haven't seen one in quite some time, but they may actually mold the color it - mask and color coat the mold (or use a decal-like color transfer of some sort) for the canopy frame, and then just inject the plastic over it...

...life gets a lot easier with the right tools. And enough money...

Reply to
Rufus

I wonder if it is silk-screened. After all, if they can silkscreen markings on a complex fuselage shape, I guess the next step is a canopy.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

I don't know about painting canopies on the production line but other markings are done by Pad Printing.

Google other references to this process. Its fascinating.

Reply to
PaPa Peng