Cementing canopies

Well, I followed the advice offered here and got some watch cement from Micromark.

After gluing in a few windows in my Trumpeter C-47, it was quickly obvious that the stuff is the same as good old Testor's tube glue, nothing different at all!

After a couple of years of graduate school in organic chemistry, I can still recognize the toluene and xylene odors from both, and even the consistency is the same. So, nothing special about watch crystal cement from Micromark compared to Testor's tube glue.

Reply to
Viperdoc

...it may smell the same, but IMO it ain't the same stuff. Testors used to for and cease the plastic, and I find this stuff doesn't. And if you have a large enough surface to use it as recommended - apply to both surfaces and press together once tacky - the stuff is permanent to a fault. And crystal clear...unlike Testors. And you can also use it to attach photo etch, which is something you can't do with Testors.

May be the same smell, but it ain't the same stuff - not by a long shot.

Reply to
Rufus

It clearly crazes plastic and has both toluene and xylene.

Reply to
Viperdoc

I've never had it craze plastic - you're likely using too much. As it's a contact cement, it takes very little. It's not CA, but it's stronger IMO.

Reply to
Rufus

you need some testor's clear parts cement. works well. but in a pinch, plain white elmer's will work. i've made very large windows with it when one dissapered into the cat.

Reply to
someone

at it.

scroll down this list, you might get your fix there. an old tube is going for $28.50

Craig

crw59

On Sep 28, 5:26=EF=BF=BDpm, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net" wro= te:

Try this

n329df

The Trumpeter C-47 has windows that fit very tightly into the fuselage. Tonight I cleaned up the paint on the inside, and then glued the windows with the watch cement.

Of course, I still got some on the windows with my fat fingers, and will polish the glue smears out tomorrow. The fit of the windows into the fuselage is excellent, with no gaps at all.

Next, I'm going to coat the windows inside and out with Future, which I hope will help to seal them in place, and then mask before cementing the fuselage sides together.

It looks like the wing roots are going to need some major filling and sanding.

Reply to
Viperdoc

...it's been my experience that WC cement doesn't polish very well...because it's very hard, like CA. Take care...

Reply to
Rufus