Check out my Paint Comparison Tool

Hey all. I always wanted a way to compare similar colors from different brands by being able to actually see the color, not just some code numbers and mix ratios. I built a web tool that does just that. Please check it out at this link and provide feedback (the web host may be slow so be patient). Thanks.

TForward

Reply to
TForward

You've done an great job! This is a tool I'd love to have locally on my PC ( so I don't have to rely on my internet connection) once more paint lines are represented. Thank you for sharing your efforts.

Doug Wagner

Reply to
Doug Wagner

Great tool. I use Opera as my browser and it seems to work ok. A vertical scroll bar would be useful just to see how far through the list one is.

Simon M.

Reply to
Simon M.

"Simon M." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

That's a good idea. I'll tinker around with that and see what I come up with.

Reply to
TForward

That's a great tool. I hope you can add more paint manufacturers. Thanks for your work!

Reply to
Ben Valdevarona

"Ben Valdevarona" wrote in news:ajUEe.8688$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

I have charts from Tam, MM, Floquil, Gunze and Lifelike (I think) so they will all definitely be included.

Reply to
TForward

"Simon M." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Vertical scrollbar added. Also a page load counter at the bottom of the list. Easy additions.

Reply to
TForward

Wonderful tool!

I would love to see Vallejo paints added. And since you have already incorporated non-modeling paints, such as the Ceramcoat line...I think the incredible Jo-Sonja line would be a nice addition.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

This is an excellent idea, using the concept of colour *comparison* which helps to cancel out the rather large errors introduced by the computer display. I think it would be wise to include a warning up front that the colour on the screen should not be compared to the paint in a tin or used for comparison to a model. Even if you have calibrated your monitor with Pantone swatches...

Computer monitors vary widely in their ability to represent the extremes of colour, fully saturated greens, blues etc. The physics of the CRT dictate this: all the colours on your screen are produced by additive mixing of the three colours emitted by the phosphors in your CRT. The best tool for understanding this is the CIE chromaticity diagram, used in the explanations below.

So a good part of the full colour space simply cannot be displayed on a CRT. LCD screens have an even more restricted gamut. So, attempting to compare two relatively saturated greens or blues is likely to be fruitless.

The CIE chart only deals with two of the three variables needed to fully define a colour, hue and saturation (though these are not the X and Y coordinates of the chart). The third variable is Lightness, i.e. the difference between white, grey and black in the center of the diagram.

Then, in terms of a painted surface you have lustre :-) Gloss, matt, metallic, all of these are more-or-less impossible to represent in a calibrated fashion on a monitor screen. You have annotated the swatches, which is good, but it might be better to separate the metallic colours out so that they don't dilute the display of greys and vica versa.

What you have produced is probably as good as you can get on any computer monitor. I'd like to see Xtracolor in there :-)

More references below.

Alan Dicey

TForward wrote in news:2fKEe.1686$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.socal.rr.com:

Hey all. I had Tamiya's list mostly done when I posted the webpages so I finished it up and now Tamiya colors are now in the color list. Enjoy!

TForward

Reply to
TForward

What a great tool,every home should have one! It is something I have always had probs with all the differing brands,numbering and actual colour descriptions. Great job.

Reply to
Arcusinoz

Site works well with Firefox, too. Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

"Arcusinoz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Thanks. According to my counter, it's been loaded about 280 times since my original post on Sunday! About 5 of those are from me. Wow! I'm glad it's getting used. The next part I'll build is the color mixer which will allow you to play with mixing ratios to get a selected color. Hopefully, I can get it to recommend a "top five" list of color mixes based on the color. Once I get the math worked out for that it should come together.

TF

Reply to
TForward

Great TF, it is really helpful.

Jose

Reply to
Dr. Jose M. Paliza

Reply to
Bruce Apple

Reply to
Shawn

"Bruce Apple" wrote in news:J5fHe.28763$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

Thanks Bruce. The MM line is high on my list. I want to get some other features working before I put more paint lines in, but they are coming.

TF

Reply to
TForward

This is really useful for a beginner like me. Thanks and well done.

Reply to
sambucus