Citadel paints--good/bad?

I just started getting into the Warhammer 40K kits because I needed a break from the "detail crazies". Maybe I can actually finish a model this way. They definitely have their share of details, but there won't be anyone nitpicking it because I changed this or that. But I digress...has anyone used these paints before--Julian? Like Humbrol, they're predominantly UK, but available here in the US from Games Workshop dealers, which are few and far between unfortunately.

Reply to
Disco58

never used em, only cos i couldnt afford em, bloody expensive here, heard lots of military modellers use them, and i think they have crazy names for the paints...not heard owt bad about em

Reply to
Jules

I picked up three boxes in a sale a couple of years ago.. They do tend to have names like Bilious Green, Ghoul Gray and Red Gore but they brush ,stick and cover very well.. The inks are very good for adding tints etc too.

Never tried airbrushing them though..

T.

Reply to
Tony Gartshore

They brush very well, and the range (not surprisingly) tends towards brighter and less "subtle" colours. They don't need much thinning either straight out of the jar. I have no experience using them in an airbrush though.

Bruce Melbourne, Australia

Reply to
Bruce Probst

they airbrush fine, thin with model master acrylic thinner.

Reply to
scuteshoot

Thanks for that..

T.

Reply to
Tony Gartshore

GW is more common in the UK, either their own shops or local stockists. The latest version (hexagonal bottles) are quite good, but get the newer "flip-top" bottles, the earlier screw-tops (which may be still around) had a reputation for drying up. Earlier formulations (which some swore by, but I swore at) are still available as "Coat d'Armes". However, GW has recently introduced a new range of 18 "Foundation" paints in round flip-top bottles. These are more subdued shades (still with daft names though) with apparantly outstanding covering abilities - I haven't tested this myself, but anecdotal evidence suggests the claims are true.

Regards,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth