Silliest Idea for a mode- Dora

Squadron sent me a catalog and they have the Dora Railway Gun that is

53'' long. It cost's (on sale no less) $719.10

Don't know or care what the group thinks but personnaly that is way over the edge just as the real thing was.

"Honey, Look what we are going to exhibit in the living room."

Dumb all the way around. I hope the guy that gave the go ahead on that white elephant kept his job.

Peace,

Sam

Reply to
Sam

I do believe there is someone who posts here who has 2 of them......

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Reply to
Jules

Amazing. I've often thought I'd fail in martketing

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Well... if it makes anyone feel any better (for some reason) I just got a 10" Newtonian telescope on an equatorial mount. Set up in my living room right now, about 100lbs, of bulk. The tube alone is four feet long, one foot plus in diameter. The twenty five pound cast iron counterweight is just barely adequate, And BTW, waiting to catch the unwary leg/shin and really cause some pain.

Needless to say, I'm not real popular round here right now ;-) (but I am very happy !!)

Reply to
AM

Heh...$719.10 is pocket change...

Rufus

It's quite the kit though:

over 3,000 parts, it's bound to keep one busy for a day or so. Now, if they had just included the 1,720 man crew for it. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

We need a 1/35 scale kit of this:

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

You're lucky you got one with a fairly low f ratio; on a f8 version of that, you'd need a ladder to get to the eyepiece. You think the counterweight is a problem, just wait till a bat craps down the inside of the tube some night and you end up taking the mirror off the back to clean it. That will be fun to realign, won't it? :-) Actually, I've never heard of that happening, but I'll bet more than one ended up with a spider web deep in its innards, or bugs crawling around on the mirror during observations. The largest I ever used was a 8" Celestron, and even with the convinence of the short SC tube and sealed optical system, that was still a handful to move around.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

If you're not interested in anyone else's opinion, why did you feel the need to post?

Bruce Melbourne, Australia

Reply to
Bruce Probst

how many guitars is that, Rufus?

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Sam wrote: : : Dumb all the way around. I hope the guy that gave the go ahead on that : white elephant kept his job. : Considering that there was a 2,000 kit pre-order requirement, I doubt very much that anybody lost their job over green-lighting this kit.

I would also point out that the Ironside K5(e) was a US $750 kit when it came out, in resin and brass. Lots of brass... The Vogel platform was another $150, I believe.

So, $719 for a very much larger kit (also limited run) is really quite a good deal.

Still waiting for the *@$^ing barrels to arrive, however...

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Cause I just felt the need.

Sam

Menominee, America

Reply to
Sam

Thanks for that, Bruce

Reply to
Sam

About 1.5, at the rate I'm going - brought one of these home last night:

Can't get them anymore, from what I'm told - the limited run of 400 is sold out. It's an absolute gem.

Reply to
Rufus

You bought the metal barrels also? How much did that set you back?

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

That is indeed a thing of beauty!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Of course, there are some who will buy it just BECAUSE of the price- "hey, look how rich I am and what I can afford."

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

the more money than brains club. wouldn't mind being a partial member. maybe more money than currently allocated or something.

Reply to
someone

Pat Flannery wrote: : : You bought the metal barrels also? : Well, I have attmepted to do so. :-/ : : How much did that set you back? : Nothing, so far. However, the barrels are 399 Euros, each. Given how the dollar is swooning against almost every currency, major and minor ($2 = 1GBP!?!?!?) this could wind up costing me the same as the kits, all over again, given the dollar was last sighted in the $1.30 = 1 Euro range. And sinking.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden