Silliest Idea for a mode- Dora

Given the price, I'd just use a little sandpaper on the kit barrel. I assume the barrel is made out of sterling silver hand machined by naked blonde virgins or something? It should be at that price. Keep us up-to-date if you actually start building the thing instead of just socking it away for its collector's value, as I've got to hear what building that monster is like.

3,000+ plus parts...and then you drop a critical one into the deep shag carpet. "Okay...no one goes into the basement... I mean that...that's why the door is now chained shut...yes, I know where that's where all the dirty laundry and washing machine is at...we can always buy new clothes...better clothes. But no one goes into the basement. I'm going to get a very fine comb and a magnifying glass. No, I'm not going to tell you the combination to the lock... there's no reason you need to know that. WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE DOG IS DOWN THERE? OH, MY GOD! I'm going to go get some poison and a scalpel...we can always get a new dog... a better dog." ;-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

you are one twisted little cruller, dude!

Reply to
someone

Reply to
Jim Atkins

Reply to
Jim Atkins

You do realize that without a terrestrial inverter prism set they will appear as upside-down and backwards in the eyepiece? Wait a second....this is kind of kinky, isn't it? ;-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

You mean among the women in the neighbourhood who wanted to sunbathe but now are afraid to step outside? :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Or, about twice what my weekly paycheck was at Clark's.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I had over $3,000 sunk into replica medieval Irish armor and swords circa 1,000 AD...looked great on the wall(s) in the living room, although one of my friends commented that I was about the only person that would give anyone breaking into my apartment a wide choice of weapons to kill me with as they headed toward my bedroom. "Do I want to use a broadsword? A short sword? A axe? No, I feel moody tonight...it's time to go with the serrated bladed spear." At least the telescope serves some useful purpose...particularly if you live near a nude beach. But for the guitar set here...now _this_ is a guitar:

you. it's going to take Andre The Giant to wield this axe. :-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Yeah, but if you could convert it to a working model.....

Somewhere, way, way, back I read an article about a guy who scratchbuilt a 88mm gun that actually fired 22LR ammunition.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Naw.... too many trees..... :-(......

People are all too often worried about hurting telescopes, when if actuality it is the other way around. They are filled with sharp edges, protrusions, and angles and things hanging off them just waiting to catch/scrape/poke and hurt you. When you get 10" and above, they get real heavy quick !!

Take a look at my webpage

AM

I got a C 8 Orange Tube new in 1981, still one of my most used scopes. The perfect size and aperture !

Reply to
AM

Pat Flannery wrote: : : The two cannons weren't exactly pocket change for the Third Reich either. : And they never did do what they were intended to do...bombard Gibraltar : into rubble from the coast of Spain. : Only one was built. Initially, in honor of Krupp, it was names "Gustav Gerat". The crew christened the weapon "Dora".

So, it was an even bigger white elephant.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Pat Flannery wrote: : : Given the price, I'd just use a little sandpaper on the kit barrel. ; Yeah, but, this one goes to 11! : : I assume the barrel is made out of sterling silver hand machined by : naked blonde virgins or something? : And it is delivered by Valkries, I expect. :-) Actually, it is more than the barrel - it includes the trunions and breech as well. : : Keep us up-to-date if you actually start building the thing instead of : just socking it away for its collector's value, as I've got to hear what : building that monster is like. : Well, one is unabashedly for its expected appreciation. Somehow, I don't see Dragon or Trumpeter doing one of these.

As for building it, that is an interesting question. The box has several more boxes inside, and the parts are tagged as to box and bag, I believe. So, that is good. However, you need to store the bits somewhere. And then there is the question of the two right angles, one at each end of my entry stairway. And then there is the feliner, errr, superior supervisory issue.

Not to mention that some of the main parts do NOT fit on my work area... : : 3,000+ plus parts...and then you drop a critical one into the deep shag : carpet. : Wood floors, so it falls into the crevases between the flooring strips. Assuming that the "supervisor" does not capture it first... : : "Okay...no one goes into the basement... : Basement? I live in Texas. Texas is sitting on a really big piece of limestone. Like Florida, without the water table issue. With about 3 - 12 inches of muck on that piece of lime stone. And excavating performed in these parts starts with rock saws and quickly works up from there. : : WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE DOG IS DOWN THERE? OH, MY GOD! I'm going : to go get some poison and a scalpel...we can always get a new dog... a : better dog." ;-) : Didn't xingular (now part of the new death star!) do a commercial with a pit bull and a cell phone? "Oh my god! He's roaming! Give me the scalpel, I'm going in!"

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

Then at least it would be cool and wasteful as opposed to stupid and wasteful

Sam

Reply to
Sam

This is classic case of not "missing the forest for the trees", but rather "missing the bush for the trees". ;-)

Pat (ducking)

Reply to
Pat Flannery

That is a scope made in heaven or the amateur astronomer; great light gathering power, great optics, tough, and fairly easy to transport. Unlike a classic Newtonian or refractor you don't end up either lying on the ground or standing on a chair to us it at high elevations either.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Big Dog + Expensive Telescope = Impending Disaster. ;-) Great shots of the Moon, particularly this one:

's downright spectacular. How did you get the light levels balanced that well for a color shot? I assume the photo was taken with the Moon nearly dead overhead in very still air conditions.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Bruce Burden wrote::

Yeah, I saw of the shots of what's included...but I mean, really...is there something that wrong with the one in the kit that couldn't be fixed with a little Squadron Green Putty, sandpaper, and a X-Acto knife? At that price, you could afford to do a lost-wax casting of the thing in phosphor bronze, and still come out ahead in the monetary sense.

I'm astounded that anyone ever actually did it...it's the model equivalent of the Bugatti Royale. No, I doubt anyone's ever going to make a model of that in that scale again before the Sun goes into its red giant phase. Like Mark Twain's woman preacher or singing dog: "You don't expect to see it done well; but you are amazed to see it done at all".

Oh yes, the photos of crate.. excuse me "box" it comes in is quite something to see in their own right.

I want you to seriously consider why you bought this, and then I want you to read this article:

I suspect there may be a connection going on here. Kill the kitty; get your mind back.

Hopefully, what happened to me won't happen to you. You won't drop a part into a open bottle of paint and find it several months later as the paint bottle empties, after spending a hour or so looking for it on the floor during the model's construction.

A real Texican would tear that rock apart with his teeth. Hell, son...David Bowie...excuse me...Davy Crockett, is watching over you from the ruins of the Alamo. How do you think _he'd_ deal with a little piece of piss-ant rock that got in his way ? You know what he'd do - he'd hire some illegal Mexican immigrants to tear their fingernails out while they ripped into that limestone mano-e-mineral! Was Anna Nicole Smith satisfied with the knockers that God gave her? Hell ,no! As a proud Texican, she would never let reality stand in the way of her dreams. Just like she got those silicone implants to make her bigger on top, it's time for your house to get bigger below. You need a basement... a cat-free MAN'S basement. Either that, or Santa Anna has already won. :-)

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Maybe he needs an IR attachment. ;)