“Monogram” Gold Knight of Nice

So I’m in the last stages of building my “Monogram” Gold Knight of Nice and I’ve noticed a few points that I’d like to share.
Firstly, the cost was a very affordable $21.95, from Mega Hobbies (http://www.megahobby.com /), a far cry from the $250.00 or so that the Aurora version commands on ePay. Also, to help keep some collectables dealers honest, this kit is molded entirely in a light grey plastic, not the original black (horse) and gold (armor) of the original. Now as to the construction, the kit is rather straight-forward, like any of the old Aurora figures, but…. As far as the horse is concerned, bring your Bondo, because there are more than a few fit issues, with gaps all along the belly and inside of the legs. I built the two halves by mounting legs and spending a couple of days (literally) filling, sanding and priming to smooth out the seams. Next I went online to find a suitable finish for the mount, settling on a red-brown coat with black stockings, mane and tail. The mane was pissing up a rope, it turned out as the armor covers it completely. The eyes took a bit of doing and I’m not completely happy with the way that they came out. Horses’ eyes are not quite like human eyes, I guess. Once I got the horse finished (to my satisfaction, but it’s NOT a contest winner), I started on the armor. The armor fits together better than the pieces of the horse, but not by much. The horse’s armor is good, for the most part, but I noticed on the chain mail of the horse’s neck there were two locator pins not mentioned in the instructions that were supposed to fit into two locator pins on the chest armor. I know that I live in New York State, but male into male isn’t my thing, so I cut the pins on the chain mail off and drilled out the spots with a hand-held pin drill. Later I found that these were supposed to be holes in the first place, the “pins” that I cut off were just sloppy molding, I guess. Also the horse’s armor is (according to the Internet) about half on what would have originally been there; it would have had heavy quilted cloth hanging down from the bottom of the plate armor to almost the ground, usually with the knight’s heraldric emblems. Still, I didn’t mount it myself. The knight figure went together very nicely, with a minimum of gaps. As far as the finishing went, I used this armor as an exercise to practice using my Metalizer paints. I used stainless steel for the horse’s armor and burnished aluminum for that of the knight. The chain mail on both figures was brush painted titanium for contrast and the knight’s armor was also highlighted along specific seams with Testors gold, brush painted. He IS the Gold Knight of Nice, you know! The knight’s face and head are very expressive and painted up nicely as well. His eyes didn’t give me half the trouble as the horse’s eyes did. And his hair and beard were painted darker brown. ( was thinking of painting them salt-and-pepper to match my own, but resisted that temptation, thank you). There are no decals with this kit, nor a stand. The horse isn’t quite as nice as that of the Polar Lights’ Headless Horseman that I did several years back, but isn’t too bad. I bought this kit to go with the four standing knights that Aurora did “back when” and as such, I think that it came out looking very nice indeed. Now to put the original Aurora kit onto ePay and hope for the best……
Add pictures here
✖
Any pictures of the built kit? I have to admit, I have been a bit intrigued by these kits myself, a great way to break out of a rut, and a good change of pace.
Dan