Ship Questions

So, I'm working on a Zerstorer, Z-39, and Tamiya's instructions say the turret gun barrels are to be painted flat white. Is that correct? Is Tamiya's double kit the same one as Skywave's? They look almost the same but the Skywave includes aircraft.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

I haven't been able to ascertain tis, but gun barrels ( and other items)were often painted a light colour underneath to neutralise deep shadows. However, Z2 Georg Thiele currently appears to be "Overall Rust"... :)

Is Tamiya's double kit the same one as Skywave's? They look almost

This site suggests the Tamiya WAS the Skywave, but has been replaced (or possibly upgraded).

Cheers.

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

Thank you sir. I was thinking I should just have asked you since you are a fount of things naval.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Thanks, but I think Gernot is more savvy than I am. However, I believe things have got a bit wobbly again in his part of the world...

Cheers,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

So I've heard. Those unfortunate folks sure have been pounded by adversity lately.

The builds in that IPMS review were impressive but I don't think I'll be tearing things apart and correcting all those faults at this point. I wonder if HP stuff is still around? A little variety would be nice and I think I will grab another kit for the Z-38. I found a listing on ebay for a Revell Z-1 but that one is 1/301 which probably would be the same size as my 1/700 Scharnhorst kit.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

I'm still standing... on my knees. I'm not that savvy, not much time these past few years to keep up with naval topics, unfortunately.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

If you mean the resin model, I haven=92t been able to locate one.

I wouldn=92t bother, as you=92re mainly going with 1:700 =96 these articles indicate you could build most of the =93Z=94 class from the Tamiya =93Barbara=94 kit.

they refer to 4.7=94 guns before the adoption of the 5.9=94 and after its abandonment, I=92m pretty sure they were 127mm (5=94). A quick peruse of the relevant =93Conway=92s=94 suggests the uncompleted

1936C would be do-able also, and that the =93Barbara=94 refit was applied to some of the earlier ships too.

Interestingly, the first article recommends the use of modified items from plastic upgrade kits =96 unfortunately there doesn=92t seem to be one specifically for the DKM. I=92m happier with plastic upgrades, as I=92m ham-handed with PE (and white metal/resin upgrades). I also think the PE especially just shows up the limitations of the moulding on basic kits =96 if you add railings, you should really replace all moulded-on screens round gun tubs and platforms with shim of a similar thickness to the PE, and that would be a ball-ache. Unfortunately, it would appear there isn=92t much alternative to PE for the large Radar arrays on modern vessels, or lattice masts.

With regard to the turret problem, if you were going for multiple builds it might be worthwhile scratch-building one accurate master and setting up a production line using epoxy putty and chilled Plasticene moulds

Cheers,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

Oy! This fun project could turn into real work. ;] Maybe I'll just assume the rest of the destroyers are with the fleet but out of sight.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller