Cookie, quick SP question for my Renwal SSP.

Thanks for the William Vink link. He really should have given more detail as to what he did, but in truth I wouldn't invest that much time. I do it for fun and to relax, not to make beautiful museum displays - Vink should be rightly applauded for the work he did.

Anyway, I am gonna do a few things, but my question for today is... interior color. Instructions say white, not so much. In the walk arounds I've found, two have the doors opened up and despite the age and decrepit appearance it looks more like the sea foam green I've seen in M113 interiors. Vink's interior, which he doesn't address, looks like tans and browns, I dunno.

And unless someone has it in a bottle what do you think for recipes for the color. I've got Model Master enamel and acryl, Polly, Floquil, Humbrol, Tamiya. Looks to me like British Interior green lightened with white or light grey, or Duck Egg Green/Sky Type S with a bit less white or grey. Yeah I know inside of doors should match the outside color.

Oh and the seat cushions - brown, red brown or black leather or vinyl? The soft part of the seats seem to be gone on the ones i've seen so far.

Oh and quick thought. Outside appearance, surface testure - I'm trying just brushing on liquid cement and letting it dry. That or sanding with a coarse sanding stick to roughen the surface. Any thoughts? I like the the liquid glue look myself.

TIA.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Actually the originals WERE white - standard military interior color for the 1950s and 1960s. Even early M113 (gassers) were white and it was only about 1970 that the colors started to change. Most of the admin (e.g. softskins) vehicles were seafoam green inside unless repainted white by a diehard (like the M934 expando van I worked in on my last tour in Germany).

Also will need to get a set of interior decals/stencils - Archer Fine Transfers offers sets of them, as everything inside was labeled in a truly anal retentive fashion!

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Oh - outer surface on that one is asolutely smooth face hardened armor plate. No pitting even after a long time out in the weather with no TLC.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:a0280ba1-5c75-47e0-96fb-e220a833cb64 @j13g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

Eesh, thanks. Now i need the med and fine sticks again.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:c25b857d-c657-488c-bd53-12aae96fe641 @v8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

Cool thanks! I saw another site today that mentioned sea foam started about halfway through the 60's. Didn't figure they would get repaint unless really needed.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:a0280ba1-5c75-47e0-96fb-e220a833cb64 @j13g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

One of the walkarounds, the finish looked smooth like an auto fender and they used a semigloss/glossy paint. I figured it was just a "museum finish".

Reply to
Gray Ghost

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:c25b857d-c657-488c-bd53-12aae96fe641 @v8g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

Alright wise guy, was at the hobby shop today and guess what they had. Yeah the Archer Interior stencils. 8(. Couldn't resist. I'm starting to get a little AMS. This was supposed to be a quick build dammit!

Anyway, ya got any ideas where I might find info on the stenciling? I mean some of it should be obvious (like the "lift here" markers, but I can't think of any of the Osprey or Squadron books that even has the M55 in it let alone fair interior shots.

The web walkarounds have ranged from 2 restored exterior only beasties, one with minimal markings the other with none but stars, to a couple of decrepit (read as beat up and badly faded, rusted chipped paint and no evident markings) that are opened up but the interiors are rough at best and not well photographed.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Frank,

Alas, most of them are in the "Dash 10" operator's manual for the beast.

No clue where the most convenient one is - I used the one at APG years ago but it moved to Fort Lee with the Ordnance Museum.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

On 4/6/2011 10:16 PM, Gray Ghost wrote:>

I heard from a vet once that the Berlin Brigade kept their vehicles glossy like that.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

True, but not for that reason.

Trivia question you may never get asked: How many cans of Johnson's J- Wax does it take to do up an M60A1?

Answer: Seven.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Update -- I broke down and picked one up at AMPS 2011. Stay tuned...

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne