Color question

I'm qurrently working on a USN SH-2F and are having some questions about the correct main bluegrey color. The instructions says Airfix M11 = Hu79, but I can't confirm that in any way. Got an other idea that Fs 16081 or 16091 may be more correct, can that be true? If so how do I mix Humbrol colors to match the color?

//André

André

Andre

The color charts at the IPMS Stockholm site shows M11 to be the equivalent of Humbrol Hu96 which is Matt RAF Blue, further the Humbrol chart shows Hu96 to be close to FS35164. If you go to their website there is some pretty good information on paint brands and colors.

Mike

MQM107

Seasprites were generally painted a medium/dark gray known as Gloss Engine Gray. I have seen SH-2s close up and can confirm that the color is definitely a glossy gray and not blue, at least for non-low viz Seasprites. I think the blueish shade seen in photos of SH-2s has to do with the sky or ocean reflecting off of the gray fuselage. Testors has this color in their Model Master line, FS16081.

Martin

Reply to
centennialofflight

I concur on the effects of sea and atmosphere 'altering' the look of the gloss Engine Grey. There are many images of these helos online and in print and almost all show some effects of reflectivity. Now, for mine, I used Engine Grey with a *little* medium green to impart a look closer to the images I've seen...

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

ISTR a color pic of the P6M taking off & it looks almost dark olive over white. Of course, it was painted Engine Gray & White.

Reply to
frank

Thank you for all advices. I tried Humbrol 32 Matt dark grey and added some Hu 77 USN blue and I am pretty satisfied with the result.

//André

André