Egyptian Air Force color question

Hi,

I'm gonna be starting on a Tu-16 Badger soon, and decided I was going to do the Egyptian version. Probably not the smartest choice. I have found a grand total of one picture online, and one drawing. What puzzles me now is the colors.

I have Trumpeter giving me Gunze colors, but the darkest color in the camo scheme according to them should be "middle stone". Judging from the photo and drawing, this isn't so. Middle Stone is yellowish, the color seems to be more greenish.

I have a Condor decals color sheet, that claims it to be humbrol 163.

I have a Eagle Strike decal sheet which claims it to be FS 34102, which would be Humbrol 117 or MM 1713.

As for the underside, it is either Light Gull Grey (Tumpeter), a micture of Humbrol 89 (blueish) and 147 (greyish) (Condor), or blue (Eagle Strike, FS 35450).

Also, the Condor paint scheme says the tip of the tail should be painted another color, but it doesn't say which one. My drawing also shows this, and there it's a greenish color.

Does anyone have any accurate info on the colors, or maybe even a decent photograph or two?

Reply to
Nemesis

to answer this question in part, issue two / 2005 of the IPMS[UK] magazine has an in depth article on building this trumpeter kit and as the builder decided on the egyptian option its right up your street.

my copy is out on loan at the mo', but give it a week or two and i'm sure a scanned copy could come your way.

t.

Reply to
Trevor

You probably have this pic. In the thumbnail the paint looks greenish but the larger pic looks similar to mid stone. You can see more of the brown along the top of the fuselage....at least to my eye.

The greenish tint appears to be due to the tint of scan, or maybe the computer interpretation.

The color in the pic seems very close to RAF "Middlestone" in this color chart:

Hi,

Reply to
old hoodoo

in article 2OdCe.104188$gc6.12022@okepread04, old hoodoo at snipped-for-privacy@cox-internet.com wrote on 7/16/05 3:07 PM:

Yikes! I don't know on whose site that color chart appears (couldn't figure out how to get to the home page), but that rendition of British Middlestone isn't like anything I've ever seen -- it's WAY darker, darker even than British Dark Earth. I don't think it's my computer, because the other colors on the chart all look reasonable. David Klaus (IPMS Color Cross-Reference Guide) gives 30266 as a close approximation of British WW2 Middlestone and US ANA 615 Middlestone. Referring to the Tu-16 picture at the mywiseowl site listed above, I'd say the light tan areas are closest to (although lighter than) Middlestone. Klaus gives FS 33448 and 33564 as light tans used on other Egyptian planes. Neither looks quite like the photo, but it's hard to be sure given light conditions and weathering.

WWIW, here's a couple of URL's I found that might be helpful:

is a site that features artists' renditions of camo schemes from a lot of countries. There are a couple of other interesting Tu-16 schemes.

is a 2002 build review on HyperScale of Hobbycraft's Tu-16, done up in the same scheme as listed above. The author went with sand and brown for the main upper colors, and German RLM 02 for the narrow demarcation areas. He used light gray for the unders.

Pip Moss I used to feel cheap 'cause I had no signature.

Reply to
Pip Moss

Reply to
Nemesis