AKUTAN ZERO aka KOGA'S ZERO COLOR SCHEME QUESTION

Based on the book, "Cracking the Zero Mystery" by Jim Rearden, he stated that the Zero after being rebuilt was in the US Navy 1942 colors and national markings. The question is that of all the pics I can dig up would be in black and white. To me the color looks to be OD Green with a possible tan underside. Would that be the correct color scheme? I just picked up the Minicraft 1/144 Mitsubishi A6M2 Zero and have been thinking of doing it in the rebuilt version, small as it is for something different.

Reply to
Prof. Plastic

After it was taken off flight status, the fuselage of this Zero was placed on a flatbed trailer and it was trucked around the country to be displayed at war bond drives. In the Summer of 1944 my Grand Father took me to a display in down town Harrisburg, pennsylvania. They had a scaffold so you could climb up and look in the cockpit. I remember it was in the same colors as U.S. Navy aircraft, Blue-Gray over light gray, but had Japanese insignia on the sides.. I didn't know any better and painted zero models in that color for years afterward. Aaahh, the innocence of youth.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I believe it was USN Blue-grey over Light Gull Grey. That's the way I did mine.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller