CSI And the Parts Eating Carpet

Well, watching the episodes of CSI finally paid off. I was detaching some parts from the sprue when one of them jumped to the Parts Eating Carpet and promptly was devoured. I looked but could not find it, took my goose neck lamp and shined it to the floor and still no signs of the missing part (a seat for a 1/72nd scale Otter float plane). Then it came to me. Turn off all of the lights, and shine my small MagLite parallel to the carpet. There it was, as I passed the light across the carpet, the gleam of the part lit up like a neon sign in Las Vegas. I guess this can serve as a lesson to us all, CSI can also be used for modeling purposes.

Cheers, now go build something.

Ray Austin, TX ===

Reply to
Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman

Well done! Maybe we should see if we can get you a guest appearance on the program.;-)

Reply to
bluumule

I thought all the modelers that turned up on TV crime dramas turn out to be serial killers?..

Reply to
Rufus

Denizen Washington played a cop in one movie and his character build model dioramas. Don't forget about the model building engineer in the Flight of the Phoenix! Alas, I'm pretty sure the rest are serial killers. I guess a botched paint/decal job will drive to kill every once in a while. ;)

Kaliste Saloom #30703 IPMS/Acadiana Plastic Modelers Lafayette, LA USA

Reply to
Kaliste Saloom

Interesting method...

I've also heard that streching a nylon stocking over the hose attachment on a vacuum cleaner is also a pretty effective way to find a small part fast.

Martin

Reply to
The Collector

Just make sure you use the wife's newest pair of nylons - the fit she throws over that will sap her of much of the energy she would otherwise employ into nagging you into vaccuming more floor than you need to retrieve the errant part.

Mileage may vary - I'm single for a reason.

;-^)

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Denzel...yeah - but that was a movie, and we were talking TV...

...though I did once see a Slot and Wing Hobbies t-shirt turn up on Eric Forman on and episode of "That 70's Show". Thought that was pretty neat, given that I used to shop there while I was going to school in Urbana.

Reply to
Rufus

Ah TV! There was a thread about this last year or so. I seem to remember a model theme involving the Simpsons, "Something about Jim", and a few more, in recent times. I often see model kits of cars on desks or planes hanging from ceilings in most kid's room sets these days. Seems a requirement to prove a kid lives in a bedroom by showing a model in it.

Kaliste Saloom #30703 IPMS/Acadiana Plastic Modelers Lafayette, LA USA

Reply to
Kaliste Saloom

"Law & Order: Criminal Intent", in the Captain's office, he has a shelf on the back wall with a number of model police cars. Also, compared to other police shows, he has a realistic office; concrete block walls with a coat of cheap wall paint on them.

Reply to
The Old Man

Now if you were married, you would know that all women have old nylons with snags in them that they will gladly part with. The vacuum cleaner thing has worked for me a couple of times!!

By the way, I do like the CSI idea also but I can't help but wonder if there were any ligature marks on the missing parts when you found them (:>

Reply to
Count DeMoney

It's not new, but it's kinda funny... Many of you may not get the finer points of this, but the Aussies will, I'm sure.

Subject: THE WHITE RABBIT.......

Once upon a time..... The CIA, the FBI and the LAPD are each asked to prove their capability at apprehending terrorists. President Bush releases a white rabbit into a forest and tells each agency to catch it. The CIA goes first. It sends animal informants into the forest. They question all plant and material witnesses. After three months of intensive investigations the CIA concludes rabbits do not exist. The FBI goes in. After two weeks with no leads it storms the forest, killing everything, including the rabbit. It makes no apologies; the rabbit had it coming, it insists. The LAPD go in. They come out after just two hours with a badly beaten bear. The bear is sobbing, "OK, OK, I'm a rabbit, I'm a rabbit!"

John Howard hears about George Jnr's idea and decides to test Australian law enforcement agencies. He releases a white rabbit into Stromlo Forest, near Canberra. The National Crime Authority can't catch it but promises that if it gets a budget increase it can recover $90 million in unpaid rabbit taxes and proceeds of crime. The Victorian police go in. They're gone only 15 minutes, returning with a koala, a kangaroo and a tree fern, all three shot to pieces. "They looked like dangerous rabbits and we acted in self-defence," they explain. The NSW police go in. Surveillance tapes later reveal top-ranking officers and rabbits dancing around a gum tree stoned out their minds. The Queensland police go in. They reappear driving a brand new Mercedes, scantily clad rabbits draped all over them. The SA and NT police join forces and beat the crap out of every rabbit in the forest, except the white one. They know it is the black ones who cause all the trouble. The Australian Federal Police refuse to go in. It examines the issues, particularly cost, and decides that because of low priority, high overtime, and the projected expense to the AFP as a whole, the matter should be returned to the referring authority for further analysis. The WA police actually catch the white rabbit, but it inexplicably hangs itself when the attending officer "slipped out momentarily" for a cup of tea.

ASIO went into the wrong forest...

Reply to
RobG

Well, I may not fully understand all the nuances but it was funny as hell anyway!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

I thought you should grab a beer.....Sniff a bit o glue, Put the Nylons on. Do a little Rugmunching back to the rugmuncher. Kill everyone in the household. Store them in the freezer. Find your part. Finish your model. Sniff a little more of the glue. Take off those stinky nylons. (Remove the pair from your head too) Nother sniff of glue. Check on the bodies.....Go to bed. Thats a good night Modeling. I like doing nude modeling san the nylons!!

----------------------------------------------------------- Posted using Android Newsgroup Downloader: ....

Flying Mudducks