Curtiss Hawk 75 Twin-Wasp engines

Can anyone out there explain to me which Twin-Wasp engines went in the various models of the Curtiss Hawk 75? It was with joy that I obtained a copy of Gerry Beauchamp's and Jean Cuny's book, Curtiss Hawk 75. It explained and clarified many things, except the engines. If you category all the engines with all the planes supposedly associated with them, then according to the book you would get something like this:

engine aircraft fuel octane SCG Y1P-36, H75A-1 87, 100(tested by France) S1CG P-36A(late) 100 S1C1G P-36C 100 SC3G H75A-1, H75A-2, H75A-3 87 Y1P-36, P-36A S1C3G H75A-3, P-36A, P-36C 91/98, 92, 91

-13 Y1P-36, P-36A(early), H75A-1 H75A-2, H75A-3 92,100

-17 P-36A(late), P-36C 100

As you can see not a lot makes sense. I certainly don't fault the authors. They were simply reporting from there various sources, but it certainly makes for confusion. I understand that the U.S. military designations R-1830-13 and R-1830-17 had a civilian equivalant. I believe(?) that the -13 is the exact equivalent to the R-1830-SCG. The

-17 is much trickier for me. In the book, the majority of P-36A's had a -17, even though all my earlier sources said it had the -13. Yet the book also states that the P-36C had a different engine, the S1C1G as compared the earlier S1CG in the majority of P-36A's. I could go on and on, please help!

Reply to
ozarkcyberdog

in article snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 2/18/05 2:10 PM:

First of all, I found a very well-organized page on the P-36 as part of Joe Bauer's warplane site:

I took down the following stats from the site: YIP-36: P+W R-1830-13 Twin Wasp P-36A: P+W R-1830-30 Twin Wasp P-36B: P+W R-1830-25 Twin Wasp P-36C: P+W R-1830-17 Twin Wasp (S1C3-G) Hawk 75A-1: P+W R-1830-SC-G Twin Wasp Hawk 75A-2: provision for P+W R-1830-SC2-G Twin Wasp Hawk 75A-3: P+W R-1830-S1C3G Twin Wasp Hawk 75A-4: Wright R-1820-G205A Cyclone Hawk 75A-5: Cyclone 9 Hawk 75A-6 (for Norway): P+W R-1830-S1C3G Twin Wasp Hawk 75A-7 (for Netherlands): Cyclone Hawk 75A-8 (for Norway but diverted): Wright R-1820-G205A Cyclone Hawk 75H Demostrator (fixed gear, simplified): Wright GR-1820-GE Cyclone Hawk 75M (for China): Wright CR-1820-G3 Cyclone

There's a bunch of data for other Hawk 75 models at the webpage; hopefully the above will help with what you were looking for. Pip Moss I used to feel cheap 'cause I had no signature.

Reply to
Pip Moss

Thanx, thanx a LOT !!!!

Now I have more than enough info to build my 1/48 resin P 36 :)

Reply to
AM

1/48 resin? By who? (curious - only know of the Craftworks 1/32 being in resin.)
Reply to
EGMcCann

Ok... Technically it is a H- 75 A4/7, 1/48 resin and white metal made by Medallion Models. (vac canopy) Sorry......

Interesting little kit, well detailed, and the one piece fuselage and wing parts fit almost perfectly together, I mean almost perfectly ! Test fit of tailplane, and cowling parts is the same :) Well detailed multi piece cockpit; seperate sidewalls, inst panel, rudder pedals etc... Seat lacks harness. Cockpit floor detail molded onto the top of the lower wing. Well done caonpies ! White metal engine, exhaust collector etc, landing gear, and propeller, and the option of using either the vacuform canopy (they give 2) or the plastic canopy from a Monogram P 40 B. Very simple instructions explination on one side, and exploded parts diagram on the other. Also another sheet w/3 view drawings made by Paul R. Matt (Avation Heritage)

VERY nice little kit, definately on my to do list ! (and for $15.00, I was very very happy :)

Reply to
AM

We all appreciate Joe Baugher for his website, but remember your only as good as your sources. I feel quite confident that he is mistaken when he says the A-2 was powered by the SC2-G Twin Wasp. Most of my sources say the SC2-G had a 2 stage, 2 speed compressor. It in fact powered the F4F-3 Wildcat. Except for some high altitude surging it was a good engine. According to most of my sources the French A-2 was powered by the SC3-G. This had a 1 stage, 1 speed compressor. Huge difference in performance. This is but one example among many of the contradictions in the information available concerning the Twin Wasp and the Curtiss Hawk. The more I dive into the question of which Twin Wasp went with which Hawk 75 the murkier the waters.

Reply to
ozarkcyberdog