Dang...it finally rained for real...

...in the high Mojave, for the first time I can recall in good number of years...probably 3-4 foot of water in the streets in the low spots when I TRIED to go and get groceries tonight.

Good thing I had a chop and a bottle of red laid in...couldn't get off the block before I turned around. Saw a few folk wading out...

Reply to
Rufus

you stold our rain! about 1/4" here in 3 days.

Reply to
someone

It just plain opened up up here - two bursts that lasted about a 1/2 hour each, but it really came down.

Reply to
Rufus

we actually got almost one of those. moderate for 1/2 hour. my tomaters were smiling.

Reply to
someone

...ours are drowning. Saw people pulling stalled cars out of streams up to the windowsills. I got just off the block before I had to turn back, and even then I had to ford some steams above axle deep.

Reply to
Rufus

not fun

Reply to
someone

...and to top it off...today the coolers at work are blown. It's an oven in there...word's out that the Team Leads have been given discretion to either relocate folks to other buildings or send them home after lunch time.

We're still under flash flood watch, and it's supposed to rain again today...probably in the afternoon.

Reply to
Rufus

too bad i'm not there. i can fix them really well and i could use a few bucks for my labor. is it the fans or pumps? i know you could look at the guts and figure it out in about 30 seconds.....hey, hustle your boss for some model money. you know you could fix them.

Reply to
someone

...not sure - and I'm talking about the big industrial ones that service our building, labs, and IT services. They got at least one or two up and running, but we're still not up to full chill.

Home front is cool as a 'cuke...

This is what is was like yesterday - dry now...mud all over.

Rufus

it's just a matter of scale...the 1/32 of coolers, i know you can relate. but if the maintenance doods are on it..... you have both at home? we're strictly h2o, the freeze is not green enough and too much valuta.

Reply to
someone

I think it was 82, lived out in North Edwards. Sole saving grace was it was cheap and closest to the base. Had a few feet of water that stayed around for a few weeks in the low spots. I was surprised my

280Z made it through it, was a few feet deep, but it did.

A few places in Adelanto built right on or just about in the wash, when it rains was pretty bad. Why they let them build there I'll never know. There was one road that had a good sized gully run across it. You'd drive through this area that looked like a river bed. When it rained, it was.

Reply to
frank

i know those areas. it really was stupid to build in those. sometimes the state of ca is beyond belief in where it allows houses. all those places on those hills covered with brush that burns like a torch when dry. i just don't get it.

Reply to
someone

We were pretty much dried out the day after - the "flash" in "flash flood". Just lots of dirt all over the streets now, and that's getting dry enough to start blowing away. Between that the the eucalyptus flowering this is no place to be with allergies or hay fever.

Reply to
Rufus
1982 was the wettest year in recorded California history.Heaviest US rainfall ever outside of Hawaii was January 4-5, 1982, Inverness, California. Thirty-two measured inches of rain in 48 hours. Inverness is made up of a series of wooded canyons composed of decomposed granite. I was on the fire department then. Aside from the main station downtown there is a substation with a single squad in the northernmost canyon where I lived. We were called out to open the drains on a flat roofed house where the owner hadn't cleared his drains in twenty years. It only took us twenty minutes and we were loading up when we got a call for a house fire two valleyts over. We got as far as the bottom of the hill where we were stopped by chest deep mud.Turned out that all of the valleys suffered a massive slipping of the decomposed granite at almost the same time. Two dozen homes were destroyed, scores more damaged. The house fire was caused by the propane tank (installed uphill from the house!) rolling down the hill and detonating inside the house. Even the foundations were reduced to sand. No fatalities, only one major injury. Inverness was cut off from the rest of the world for over a week.As the department's LZO I arranged for several helicopter landings, both news crews and relief supplies. We had received word of a house in Tomales Bay a couple of miles south. A KGO TV Bell 206 landed and we commandeered it for recce. Turned out that the people on the house had a boat and were not signalling for help, they were signalling that they were OK. We were back in Inverness in ten minutes, just in time to evacuate a cardiac patient. A fellow IPMSer back east somewhere called to ask what I was doing commandeering a helicopter on the evening news? I might do a vignette of that someday. :-)About eighteen years later the entire Inverness ridge area went up in flames along with a couple of dozen homes. Main cause was the failure to clear the massive increase in brush which followed the rains and slides. TomOn Jul 22, 12:26=A0am, frank wrote:> I think it was 82, lived out in North Edwards. Sole saving grace was> it was cheap and closest to the base. Had a few feet of water that> stayed around for a few weeks in the low spots. I was surprised my> 280Z made it through it, was a few feet deep, but it did.> > A few places in Adelanto built right on or just about in the wash,> when it rains was pretty bad. Why they let them build there I'll never> know. There was one road that had a good sized gully run across it.> You'd drive through this area that looked like a river bed. When it> rained, it was.
Reply to
maiesm72

the smell of plants after is amazing, though.

Reply to
someone

yeah, dumbass' still builds on vesuvius slopes.

Reply to
someone

...the smell of our brand new tower yesterday was worse...it smelled like a pet shop...that had been closed for the weekend with no ventilation.

Reply to
Rufus

sounds like an unvented locker room with a buttload of sweating footsballers. or the worst stinkfoot ever....

Reply to
someone

Brand new everything - new carpet, paint, cubes, etc. The tower just opened a few weeks ago, and folks have just been moved into it. They got all the chillers running overnight, but I haven't been over there to see if anything improved.

Reply to
Rufus

sbs?

Reply to