DC-3/C-47 Question

Hey all,

I am building the recently re-released Revell-Monogram

1/90th box-scale DC-3 kit. Yes...an ancient kit, with little detail, and saturated with oversized rivets...but nevertheless, quite accurate in shape and proportions... much better than most of the 1/72nd and smaller kits available. I am going to detail it out, as much as possible, even though I will probably do it as an airliner in "wheels-up" configuration. My question is regarding the engines. The kit has the standard "ancient kit" solid cowlings, with slight engine detail engraved in. Are there any aftermarket engines that would work? Obviously, finding something in 1/90th scale is sheer fantasy...but, for example, is there anything like an Aeroclub "small" 1/72nd scale engine; or a "large" 1/144th scale engine, that comes close to a 1/90th sized Pratt and Whitney?
Reply to
Greg Heilers

I would nominate the Jacobs engines from the Pavla 1/72nd Cessna T-50 Bobcat/Bamboo Bomber (which are resin cast and quite nicely detailed). I imagine the radial engines from other such trainer aircraft (say, Texan or Stearman biplane) in that scale might work too. Remember that the Wright Cyclone was (conceptually) just an upsized Whirlwind.

Stephen Bierce

Reply to
Stephen Bierce

Thanks. I will look into that, as I might end up doing a livery that was on a Wright Cyclone (9 cylinders)powered DC-3. At the present time, though, the finalists I am thinking of, were all on PW (7 cylinder) powered aircraft; so I was wondering what "small" 1/72nd, or "big" 1/144th engine could pass for a Twin Wasp in 1/90th.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

The P & W was a 14 cylinder engine.

Reply to
frank

But, only 7 cylinders would be visible, on a model with the cowlings all closed up...hence their being molded that way on most small-scale kits: just the front row of cylinders. Only a IPMS-Nazi, with his dental mirror, and rectal flashlight...would expect more...lol.

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers