Disaster strikes

Probably my fault for not thinking, maybe not. Got my hands on some Mig products thinner for washes whilst browsing in Modelzone Manchester on Monday whilst the SWMBO was on a business trip. Sounded great reading the label. Mixed it up with some Mig pigments "Industrial City Dirt" to sandy up the interior of my Operation Iraqi Freedom CH53E, and things looked pretty good. Went down well over 2 week old Vallejo acrylic, settling nicely into the recesses in the padded fabric panels. This was encouraging. So encouraging, in fact, that I thought I'd treat the rotor head assembly to a spot or two. Same Vallejo acrylic, 2 weeks old again.

This time, it decided to strip the paint pretty efficiently from the plastic. Bummer. Picking up the rotor to inspect the damage, things got worse. Six out of seven rotor blades fell off. The plastic had been eaten through. I will admit that at this point I used off colour language. One complex repair operation later, involving drilling, pinning and Zap CA, all is sort of well. Going to need some serious masking and spraying tomorrow though. Such is life.

Having used Mig pigments with water before, I've been really pleased with the results, so no black marks against them. But that thinner is way too hot for words. Looks like i'll be consigning the thinner to the bin, and I've made a mental note to test untried products, even from trusted sources, on an old donkey first. This comes on the back of my step daughter's New Years party when five models ( 1/32 F16, 1/48 Phantom FGR2, 1/48 He219, 1/48 Wyvern, and 1/48 Skyraider) got irepairably trashed by some muppet. This country's gun laws need reviewing.

Reply to
flak monkey

ouch! time for the stoly.

Reply to