Re: Disaster strikes!

>>> Enzo Matrix wrote: >>>> I'm building an Airfix 1/48 Seafire FR47. >>>> >>>> Well... "building" isn't really the correct word. I'm currently >>>> destroying it... I intended to put an Aires resin cockpit in it. >>>> The Aires parts are beautifully detailed and look absolutely superb >>>> when they are painted up. The problem is... they don't fit the >>>> Airfix kit! I've tried thinning the kit fuselage halves... >>>> thinning >>>> the resin parts... and still the resin simply refuses to fit >>>> properly. I've trimmed here. Trimmed there. Trimmed every flippin' >>>> where. No joy. And then this afternoon, disaster struck. I've >>>> thinned the fuselage >>>> halves and the resin so much that even applying gentle pressure >>>> caused the rear fuselage to break away and the cockpit sides to >>>> collapse! And this is a kit that I spent ages tracking down on >>>> Ebay! >>>> >>>> But all is not lost. I have six Airfix Spitfire 24 kits that were >>>> intended to supply the engine parts to be added to a Hasegawa MkIX. >>>> I've taken the fuselage halves from one of these. The broken bits >>>> from the Seafire will still be perfectly usable for a MkXIX. So now >>>> I'm starting again with the cockpit. The odd thing is that I've >>>> thinned the resin cockpit sides so much that much of the moulded in >>>> detail - fuse boxes, switch panels, throttle quadrant - has become >>>> a selection of parts in their own right! So I can use those to >>>> detail >>>> the Airfix cockpit and add the resin cockpit floor. This could so >>>> easily have ended in tears before bedtime. But for >>>> anyone else using this Aires detail set - beware! It simply does >>>> not fit!!! >>> Are you the same Enzo Matrix that stabbed himself last week? >> >> Yers.... Anyroads... that's nowt. I superglued my fingers >> together the other day. I don't have any fingerprints now! >> >>> >>> Is your nickname "lucky", by any chance? >> >> No...... >> >> >> > REBOOT!!! > (couldn't resist, enzo)

BEETROOT! :-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

The lesson must be: Never build models on wedensdays and thursdays. The thing with the superglue, what day of the week was that?

Well, I'll never come around to tell all the stories of my disasters, or near disasters ;-)

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

Saturday. But, to be honest, the superglue thing is quite a common occurence. I've even spent five minutes looking for small parts that have apparently been eaten by the parts-eating carpet, only to find them superglued to the palm of my hand!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"Enzo Matrix" wrote only to find

OK Enzo, no more models for you. Get out the Lego bricks, now there's a good lad. (c:

Rob

Reply to
AussieRob

bubutbut wot if I swallow one of the bricks?

Actually... I *do* use Lego. I use it to build jigs to hold open canopies while the glue is setting!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

BEETLEJUICE!!!

Reply to
Rufus

Enzo, real modelers work over deep shag carpeting :-)

Reply to
Bob B

"Enzo Matrix" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Now it's your turn to laugh.

Been there, done that. Wasn't that funny :-(

Never trust a man who has no Lego bricks ;-)

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

Especially when it "worked its way out naturally".

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

"Bob B" wrote

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

Rob

Reply to
AussieRob

Why chickens don't lay square eggs. Uff!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

"Mad-Modeller" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com...

You don't read Donald Duck. There is a story about hens that lay square eggs :-)

It is an OLD story.

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

My Donald Duck comics went missing a long time ago. The ex- and Mother both blame each other.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

"Mad-Modeller" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@nextline.com...

So your'e innocent. It's a good thing, they both of them don't blabe you :-)

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

This sounds like an all-too-common story. When I went into the Marines in 1965, my folks decided to "clean" out my quarters. When I got out, all the made models, comics, baseball cards were tossed and my clothes were gone off to the local Bishops' Committee drive. That means that some kid in Uganda that got my fawn cord blazer also got about $50 that was pinned to the inside pocket (in 1965, that would have made him a "man of means") 8-P I quit looking for those comics and trading cards on eBay because I can't ~begin~ to afford to pick them up again. My pride was the entire

1957 Dodgers lineup, all the players, rookie cards and team specialty cards. But, they didn't know, and I should have been clear that the stuff wasn't to be touched....... At least they didn't give away the ~unmade~ stash!
Reply to
The Old Man

"The Old Man" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

This sounds like an all-too-common story. When I went into the Marines in 1965, my folks decided to "clean" out my quarters. When I got out, all the made models, comics, baseball cards were tossed and my clothes were gone off to the local Bishops' Committee drive. That means that some kid in Uganda that got my fawn cord blazer also got about $50 that was pinned to the inside pocket (in 1965, that would have made him a "man of means") 8-P I quit looking for those comics and trading cards on eBay because I can't ~begin~ to afford to pick them up again. My pride was the entire

1957 Dodgers lineup, all the players, rookie cards and team specialty cards. But, they didn't know, and I should have been clear that the stuff wasn't to be touched....... At least they didn't give away the ~unmade~ stash!

And now comes the great question: Did you clean out your kids quarters?

Reply to
Uffe Bærentsen

(Enzo=A0Matrix) wrote;

Uffe B=E6rentsen wrote: "Enzo Matrix" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com... OK Enzo, no more models for you. Get out the Lego bricks, now there's a good lad. (c:

bubutbut wot if I swallow one of the bricks? Now it's your turn to laugh. Been there, done that. Wasn't that funny :-(

Especially when it "worked its way out naturally".

Reply to
cyberborg 4000

snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Enzo, you need to quit drinking when you build models.

.=2E.Or maybe you need to START drinking when you build models!

Either way :-)

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Cheers! :-D

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

4= snipped-for-privacy@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com...

Hell no! We ~still~ have old toys and books in the attic that belong to the kids. When ~they~ have chilluns, those kids will start out with a lot (but still no video games), and I will be throwing a couple of xerox paper boxes filled with old models into the mix as well. Those old Revell 79=A2 WWI fighters might even be worth something by then! 8- P

Reply to
The Old Man