eastern express

man, they sure use a lot of parts to make a kit. anyone finish one? i'm working on their Ilya Muromets and after about 100 hours, i fifnished the engines. each one is a goddam kit in itself. there is a header pipe for each cylinder about the size of a rice grain. you HAVE to paint each sub assemply because there aren't paint brushes small enough. i looked at the rigging diagram and put the kit away. in 6 months, i'll build another sub assmbly, get discouraged and put it away again. i started the kit in 1999 and just now finished the engines...... it was a gift. i wonder if i can give it back..... i also have the fleet aviation set. the spit has about 900 parts. FScheap!

I finished a ship of theirs. As you say, lots of pieces. Also, lots of flash, parts don't fit, coarse detail. Still, unique subjects so it is worth taking the time and effort to do them. One hint for painting small/fine detail- I use the tip of a toothpick, those double- ended kind that come to a sharp point. I shake paint bottle, take lid and dip the point of the toothpick into the residual paint in lid, then apply to model. Not much paint at a time, but you can do very accurate work.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

the airplanes have no flash and good fit. but even the 1/48 are eyestrains. you published the toothpick tip a while back and i swiped it then. thanks.