F-86 Korean war personal markings

Sorry......

.8 = 800 lbs of fuel = approx 120 gallons which does not get you far in any fighter

.4 = 24 minutes of flight time

Fat fingered means he added a bit of time to the actual "real" flight time to make the number a little larger. The two hours of hassle of planning, briefing, getting dressed and manning up for that short a flight made many of us add a tenth or two to a flight for the effort.

An additional point is the jet was towed to the end of the runway to save fuel used in normal start-up and taxi.

Pugs

Reply to
Allen Epps

Thanks!

Gordon McLaughlin

Reply to
Gordon McLaughlin

Totally clear to me...

Reply to
Rufus

Auuuuuuugggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Tornados have a fuel tank in the fin. When they first entered service in the RAF, the engines were so fuel inefficient that taxying to the end of the runway and take-off would empty the fin tank. The fin tank was always the first to be used as when it was empty the CG of the aircraft would move forward and make the jet much easier to handle.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Forgive me for going back to the original post.

USAF F-86s > Allen Epps wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

Actually, F/A-18s have fuel tanks in the tails, too...but they are vent tanks.

...and it's not uncommon for the external tanks on most fighters (that I've worked around) to be 1/2 full or empty by takeoff.

Reply to
Rufus