Hey 1/72 U-Boat Fans...

you rich guys.....

Might be I was looking at Part 3. Sorry!

Bill Shuey

Rufus wrote:

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I have a copy and believe me, it is a marvelous work.

I would point you to the Squadron Signal U-Boats at War. Good pictures.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I've been looking for that one...mostly concentrating on ones that focus on the Type VIII for obvious reasons. Just ordered the above mentioned "Anatomy of the Ship" book from Amazon. Here's the synopsis:

"First launched in 1936, the Type VII U-boat was the mainstay of the German campaign against Allied supply lines during the Battle of the Atlantic. With more than six hundred of the type constructed, it has come to be considered the most successful submarine design of all time. This newly revised edition offers a full description of the submarine, including the many variations and improvements introduced during its long service career, a pictorial section that emphasizes close-up and on-board photographs, and 135 line drawings. The perspective and three-view drawings give every detail of the boat?general arrangements, hull construction, machinery, superstructure, rig, armament, fire controls, and fittings?with in-depth descriptive keys. Such a serious evaluation of the submarine?s design and construction provides ship buffs, historians, and modelmakers with an insight into the technicalities of an important ship type."

Reply to
Rufus

If I were that I'd reshoe the bike ahead of schedule and keep on trucking. As it is poor boy here has to squeeze out every drop. But I do look good on there ;-)

WmB

WmB

if it's warrantied covered service cool. pads and shoes are not hard to do yourself. takes about 15 minutes to do full pad swap on an sr. i did a friend's hogley last year in about an hour.

45 minutes of disbelief and 15 to do it.

Andrew Irving

Someone must do a 1/72 Wirbelwind Flakpanzer, or one of the halftracks with the Flakvierling on the back. The guns wouldn't be navalized, but they ought to be close.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I remember having a Roco Mini-Tank version back in the '60s.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

ESCI made a quad 20 on the back of an Opel. Hasegawa makes one on the back of a halftrack and I believe Revell AG reboxed it. That at least give you a start. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

That's what I was thinking - tons of 1/72 armor in this month's Squadron flyer. Which I got on the 1st...fine by me.

Reply to
Rufus

Lindberg made one as well. built it back in the '70s.

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

William H. Shuey a utilisé son clavier pour écrire :

I will try to find it. In France I guess it will be impossible, but maybe at amazon for example. Thanks a lot.

Humm someone told me it was in B&W and not very clear. Isn't it your own opinion ?

Reply to
Flying Frog

Le 01/06/2004, Andrew Irving a supposé :

Hi Andrew, thanks but unfotunatly, this mag isn't available in France.

Reply to
Flying Frog

I just got my copy of the Naval Institute Press book on the Type VII, from Amazon. It's the best U-boat reference I've found so far - lots of drawings from original German u-boat plans, also showing details of the areas between the pressure hull and the outer casing. And the pictures are the clearest I've seen to date. It's also furthering my opinion about weathering these boats...

I've seen two of the Squardon books - the "In Action" and "U-Boat War". The pictures in both of them leave much to be desired - pretty blurry. I don't plan to buy either of them. I do plan to keep looking for more U-boat references...but I'd HIGHLY recommend the Naval Institute Press book on the Type VII as a starting point and a "must have" on the subject.

As for all of the pictures being B&W - yes, and I'd expect to find no color ones in any good reference. From the look of it most (if not all) of these pictures are from the personal collections of former U-boat crewmen. Most of the shots I've seen so far give me the impression of someone taking a picture of a moment personal to the individual - so I wouldn't really expect a crewman to have a color camera. Not in that era.

Reply to
Rufus