I told ya so...

A few months back I was raving about 3D printers and what a modeler might be able to do with one...well, someone must have been listening to me:

Note that this service is primarily aimed at artists, but the immplications for producing a master for a figure model (or anything you can model in 3D, for that matter) are certainly what I had in mind when I first ranted.

Knowing what I know from the 3D printer seminar I went to, I think the service these guys are offering is a bit pricey, but the point is that they are doing it. I'll be keeping an eye on them to see how their biz does...

Reply to
Rufus

The layer thickness or pixelation is "only" .005 - .010 inches. . . about enough to make a OEZ kit look like a mirror by comparison. In fact, I can send you some SLA models to play with. After you cover them with putty, sand for a couple of hours, and fill, you'll have something that is almost as good as a conventionally molded part . . . SLA machines and the like are capable of producing parts that are perfectly adequate for the (industrial) purposes they are intended. Unfortunately that's a good two orders of magnitude coarser that what a modern modeler would even consider in a kit.

VLS was talking about how they were going to start doing this for their resin masters about two years ago. Surprisingly, they've been rather quiet since, especially considering how enthusiastic they were before they actually tried it.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

please keep us updated. we gotta ride when it gets warmer. how about a day in dv?

As with most - if not all - technology, it all depends on what you apply it to. There are a lot of variables in the mix here - from the fineness of the mesh of your 3D model, to it's complexity, to the tech used for "printing"...which now that I look again, is stereo lithogaphy...so now I understand the price point. The Dimension 3D plastic printer that I am familiar with would do the job cheaper, I think. And maybe better...

But as with anything like this - it's an art. At least initially. For some types of parts, I think still this tech would work great.

Reply to
Rufus

Actually it might work for the grosser structures and you can save most of your effort for detailing and use the result as a resin master.

Reply to
Ron Smith

Yeah - I think this stuff is really cool.

I just got back from Maryland last week - it was in the upper 60's/low

70's...lots of bikes out. I'm going to be travelling a lot in the near future...I'll let ya know when I get some time to go with any weather.

...and if the band will let me off.

Reply to
Rufus

i'll send you some email about how to spring you from the band. bet you laugh your ass off. california is a strange state.

"Ron Smith" wrote

I'm sure that's what Bob Letterman had in mind, however the talk has disappeared from his newsletters and the increase in accuracy/decrease in cost/shorter time to market for their products is not evident. I think they discovered that although there might be a savings in producing the bulk form (the most quickly produced portion in conventional production) you must first have a pretty detailed (and preferably accurate) 3-D model of what it is you want to make. The SLA machine can't work with TLAR. . .

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Somehow it strikes me as too immature a technology for production use to be economical. Like I said it would be great for some things like ship's hulls and superstructures where you're going to add more detail for a resin master anyway. It might also work for the base of AFV hulls and turrets but you'd still need to clean them up and detail them. The saving would only be the labor of hand carving those masters.

Reply to
Ron Smith

Actually, what I'm more surprized by is the increasing number of obviously 3D models showing up in DML ads. This implies to me that the industry (or at least DML) is already using rapid prototyping techniques in bringing new items to market.

I agree - SLA/SLT probably is cost prohibitive for this application. But the plastic printer I know of is VERY cheap in comparison, and better suited to the task, IMO.

Reply to
Rufus

Actually, I know of a case where it's being used to make sight mounts for the US Army...using the raw printings.

But I'd certainly think that it'd be the nuts for making masters for figure models, for example...or car bodies. Or ship hulls, as you point out. I think it'd also work for instument panels, or any basically flat part built up in "layers".

Reply to
Rufus

We did a few models at my shop using the FDM or fused deposition modeling version. You are correct after several hours of sanding growth rings out of the part I ended up building it from scratch just as fast. there is a machine called the VIPER it's resolution is .002 fantastic finish but the by in cost for one of those machines is 250,000.00

Reply to
masterpiecemodels