Ice for a Diorama

What would be good for making ice for a diorama? Not snow, but big glacier-like blocks of ice. Would it be better to paint the colors on top, or would you use a clear substance and try to embed the hues in the material itself?

Reply to
Barry

Jose Altube

Depending on the size and shape of the desired ice chunks.... Hobby Lobby has some molds for making rock formations for train dioramas; who says you can't pour clear resin, or plaster into them and paint them appropriately for ice? If you were to use clear resin, I'd mix up a bit with some blue dye, then paint it onto various areas of the mold wall, let it set up, then pour the rest. That should give a fair rendition, might take an experiment or two though. You could do basically the same with plaster I think, by using latex paint dabbed here and there on the mold walls then pouring in the plaster. The wet plaster should mix and blend the paint a bit so it won't actually look "painted on". As I recall, the molds were pretty cheap too.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward. --Leonardo Da Vinci It's better to teach a child what you know than what you think.

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy