Ju 390 kitbash from the Revell?

I am contemplating a six engined Ju 390 kitbash from the Revell Ju 290 offering. Would this be possible without too much hazzle? I read that the 390 "simply" was a stretched version of the former. Or???

Kind regards

Robert Lundin _______________

Aircraft Walkaround Center

Aircraft close-up studies and walkaround links

Reply to
Robert Lundin

I've looked at the drawings, having contemplated the same thing. Get two 290 kits, and lengthen the fuselage and the inboard wings. A little puttering with the turrets, and you're home free. Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

Just out of curiosity, how many JU-390's were actually built??

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Robert Lundin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@telia.com:

The 390 was a "scaled up" version of the 290 with 6 1,700 HP BMW 801D engines vice 4 in the 290.

Comparitive figures.

Ju 290 Ju 390 Length 95' 7.75" 110' 2.75" Width 137' 9.5" 181' 7.25" Wing area 2,191.6 sq ft 2,841.77 sq ft

There were 2 prototypes built, both of which flew in 1943. The 2nd prototype flew from an airfield near Bordeaux to about 12 miles off the East Coast north of New York City.

Lotsa luck!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

I was thinking about it if it was just the wings. I better see if I can finish the Bv 222 and the Ju-290 before I think anymore about a 390. Who did the vac, Contrail or Airmodel? Cheers,

Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Combat, ID, Frank and Contrail.

Oh, and Toad Resins in, uh resin.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Certainly one, probably two. The V3 was apparently never completed. the V1 and V2 differed in fuselage length, and the latter was armed. It was supposedly the one that flew almost all the way to America some time in early 1944.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

It's a little tougher than that, because the windows change from five or six rectangles on each side to over a dozen port hole shapes. That's to build a V-1. The V-2 requires a second fuselage extension forward. OTOH, if the RG kit represents the Ju 290A-4 or A-5, you're home free on the turrets, since the armament was supposedly the same for the Ju 390V-2.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Oh, I've always wanted to do that - but in 1/48 ;-) I think I'll have to settle for the Revell 1/72 models, though... And yes, it was basically a stretched version, so it should be pretty easy. Duplicate the innermost section of the wings, and lengthen the fuselage. The most critical part appears to be the windows, since they were rectangular in the Ju 290A-5 but round in the Ju 390...

Look for a post I made one December 28th claiming that a major modeling company was going to release a 1/48 Ju 290/390 kit. (it was on December 28th as response to those posts from April 1st, which in this country is just a meaningless date)

-- __________ ____---____ Marco Antonio Checa Funcke \_________D /-/---_----' Santiago de Surco, Lima, Peru _H__/_/

'-_____|(

remove the "no_me_j." and "sons.of." parts before replying

Reply to
machf

"and whadda ya know? We ran outa gas and had to turn back"

Kim M

Reply to
Royabulgaf

I guess I shoulda been more specific, just the 390, I seem to remember Airmodel? Cheers,

Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Um, that is the list of the firms that did the 390.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Wow! Can you imagine carting the Toad resin to a contest? Maybe I'll find a vac at the Nationals this year. Thanks,

Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Could you imagine a Toad Resins 390 that wouldn't be all warped & distorted? What was their prob anyway?

Reply to
famvburg

From my understanding, keeping resin from warping in a large mold is tough. I think I could try a Frank-Airmodel or a Contrail but probably not the Combat. Cheers,

Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Even their small molds were warped. I built their FW Project something, about P-61 size & nearly never got it straight & true. Their Ju-488 wings got replaced with Matchbox Ju-388 wings they were so warped. We're not talking large parts here. Planet doesn't have that problem.

Reply to
famvburg