Last Rights

This group is dead. Any boogle players left behind?

GlickFurn wrote:

That's Last Rites, as in the rites of the dead. Also, its bugle, though I kinda like "boogle" as in "boogie woogie boogle boy...," or, perhaps, "...google boy...."
I've heard there's a dearth of bugle players for deceased veterans' funerals. Usually a crappy tape on a boom box.
--
MGFoster:::mgf00 <at> earthlink <decimal-point> net
Oakland, CA (USA)

they had a cheapy little picee of plastic that could only play taps. but 4,000 funerals a day has no easy answer. we did the ceremony for my dad at the springfield vets cemetary. we being my mom, sister, niece, nephew and self. he outlived his friends...his best friend by 10 years. he never got over it. (my dad didn't, i mean.)
MGFoster wrote:

I did a half dozen or so two-man honor burial details between 2000 and 2001. We used a very high quality CD and boom box that was out of view (when a bugler wasn't available). It was so good we had family members wanting to thank the bugler and asking where he was.

did you guys do that yourselves? record and set it up? that's a really good effort.

No, the CD ROM came down from DA along with a DVD telling us why we were doing these and the DVD had an instructional portion of how to conduct the ceremony, the do's and don'ts, etc. It even had actors (of various services) acting out a typical sequence of events from initial request of an honor guard to how to coordinate with the funeral home and cemetary, how to obtain the flag (you bring a form to a local post office, they have the flag in a small 6" x 6" box), how to prep the flag (it's all wrinkled from being folded in the little box), how to fold the flag (takes some practice).
Add that to the fact that you get very little notice (people tend to die unexpectedly), usually less than 24 hours, have to locate the funeral home, cemetary and find out travel time, when the ceremony is to start, etc.
It's a moving ceremony when done right, but it's not an easy thing to pull off in a matter of a day or so.

but i can imagine how the familys feel about your effort and respect. good job.

you shouldn't have taken that left in albykoiky, your turnip is cooked.